Need Advice: PMR PD's/Faculty/Chiefs etc...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsap102

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Some of your have probably already seen some of my other threads. I'm afraid that I must repost again because I am desperately seeking advice and trying to salvage my career not to mention the fact that like you I have an enormous debt and favours to pay back.

Here's a little background: in an IM program but my contract will not be renewed after a probationary period. My PD agrees that I belong in the medical field, but in a field more focused than broad. (however, my PD has no problem continuing IM...but just not at his/her program <- that's a totally different issue). So in the PD's LoR it comes down to that I changed my mind about IM and opted to pursue another specialty.

Once I knew my situation, I started to look into other specialties. Some of my colleagues were in PM&R and told me to check it out. I did and I really like it. It's more fitting for me. Especially the possibility of sports med.

I picked up a few interviews here an there, but did not match. So, I'll be unemployed starting July.

My questions:
1. Is it worth vying for PM&R?
2. Do you know of anyone else in a similar situation who successfuly ended up in a PM&R program? If so, would you kindly describe how they did it?
3. What should I do over the next 6 months (before interview season starts again) to strenghten my applicatino for PM&R.
4. My friends have suggested research - I'm not a bench researcher, but would be interested in clincial trials. Where do I find those? Are there any specific websites?
5. Are there such things as externships in PM&R for people who have PG1 credit?
6. Anything else?

Thank you
N

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to re-examine your situation and look at yourself and try to assess why you were put on probation at your IM program to begin with and why you may not have matched. It's probably going to be very painful but you have to be honest with yourself and try to get some good feedback from others around you without gettting defensive. What your PD's LOR says is irrelevant in this investigation. Why is it that he did not want to renew your contract? was it your work ethic? was it your personality? did you have personality clashes with those around you? did you make mistakes that hurt patients? were you liked by others in your program? were you uninterested? did you not read/study? were you not efficient?

I think you have to take inventory of your strength and weaknesses. Just stop, take a deep breath, and see what you can learn from this painful unfortunate experience. Were you showing signs of burn out? how were your evaluations from medical school? what made you go into IM to begin with? when were you happiest during your rotations?

After you do an honest assessment of the situation, then investigate all your opportunities. are you sure you want to do PM&R? Do you really know enough about PM&R? is sports medicine the only aspect of PM&R you experienced? did you get to spend time in an inpt rehab setting? how about clinics? pediatrics? adult? stroke, SCI, TBI, pain, MSK, EMG, etc.?? What about PM&R excites you? or is PM&R a compromise or something you are settling to because you don't feel you can achieve what you wanted to achieve when you originally matched into IM?

If you are truly sure you want to pursue PM&R and you are ready to make every effort to get into the field, then you have several options.

1. spend time doing research with a physiatrist - try to publish and present at national meetings so you can interact with other physiatrists in the country. see if you can shadow physiatrists in varoius settings.

2. figure out your weaknesses and then come up with a solution to strengthen those areas. especially if those weaknesses are documented. so if someone said you were lazy - work extra hard and see if you can get a LOR that says otherwise.

3. get to know the field of PM&R thoroughly and build your identity as a physiatrist. understand that not many people will know what you do and you can't base your ego on your idenitity as a physiatrist. read the journals, talk to as many PM&R residents, attendings, etc as possible. try to keep your finger on the "pulse" so to speak.

4. do rotations if possible at as many PM&R residencies as possible within your geographic preference. Try to get as much face time as possible with the attendings but also get along with the residents.

5. go through the match again while looking for off-cycle and outside the match opportunities. be prepared to answer why you didn't apply to PM&R in the first place, why you were placed on probation, why you were not offered a spot to continue, why you didn't match this year, etc. You need to be your own PR person and stress all the things you have done to improve yourself and show your committment to the field.

it's going to be along journey so you have to really take honest inventory of yourself and your life and decide what you really want to do with your life. good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
axm, you are soooo solid with your advice. great suggestions.

i'll only add this: if you're interested mostly in sports and have one year of medicine under your belt, i'd personally do a family med residency for another couple years and then do a sports fellowship.

Yes, axm really said it all. I just want to echo that PM&R (residency, at least) is really broad. So if you're looking to avoid a broad field, you may need to rethink PM&R.

Axm - THANK YOU. It really is a solid post. Now I've got to put it into action