Need advice: Pre-med switching to Pre-dent - Am I in Trouble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I previously applied to medical school and did not get in. However, I had a gut feeling from the beginning that this field may have not been for me because some parts of the field I just did not enjoy. I started shadowing a dentist earlier this year and fell in love with the occupation. I have accumulated over 200 hours of shadowing and really enjoyed it. I want to take the DAT and apply to dental school. However, I have just seen the background information section that asks about past applications to professional health schools. Will my chances be diminished if I mention that I applied to medical schools last year? Please let me know. This is concerning me quite a bit. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I previously applied to medical school and did not get in. However, I had a gut feeling from the beginning that this field may have not been for me because some parts of the field I just did not enjoy. I started shadowing a dentist earlier this year and fell in love with the occupation. I have accumulated over 200 hours of shadowing and really enjoyed it. I want to take the DAT and apply to dental school. However, I have just seen the background information section that asks about past applications to professional health schools. Will my chances be diminished if I mention that I applied to medical schools last year? Please let me know. This is concerning me quite a bit. Thank you!

If you are sincere with your desire to pursue dentistry, then it won't matter. An applicant who applied previously, and then switched over to dentistry with very little exposure to dentistry or shadowing would have a hard time justifying his switchover. You, on the other hand, would have a much easier time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the feedback. I've decided that I should just mention the schools I applied to. And maybe edit my personal statement a bit to mention that I explored the medical field initially but was not satisfied with it.

I appreciate the feedback. I've decided that I should just mention the schools I applied to. And maybe edit my personal statement a bit to mention that I explored the medical field initially but was not satisfied with it.

It looks like the feeling with med school was mutual. Why do you feel compelled to make negative comments about an unrequited love affair?

It looks like the feeling with med school was mutual. Why do you feel compelled to make negative comments about an unrequited love affair?

I feel that if I do mention my med application, I should explain why I switched. Is it a good idea to not even mention that I applied to previous schools? Or would it be considered incredibly dishonest?

I feel that if I do mention my med application, I should explain why I switched. Is it a good idea to not even mention that I applied to previous schools? Or would it be considered incredibly dishonest?

A ps is not the forum to justify your change of heart.