NEED ADVICE - prof won't excuse absence for interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinamin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Update:
PROBLEM SOLVED!

I spoke with a 'higher up' and they said there is nothing they can do since it's up to the professor. The professor would not let me take the exam early and after reading through the thread and sleeping on it, I dropped the course and got my money back. Now I can buy an even nicer suit I suppose.

What worried me was the possibility of having another interview invite that could possibly conflict with another class. Since missing that exam would mean my max score could be 85%, taking it P/NP just wasn't worth it to me from a risk assessment perspective. LOL.

Plus this has been stressing me out... I will study the Precalc book and use his syllabus as a guideline and then take Calculus next semester as planned.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

Hi there,

A class that I'm enrolled in just started today...preface: it's at night and worth only 2 credits (Precalculus). It has been a while since taking Calc so I feel that I really NEED to take this class before taking calc (required by many schools I'm applying to). Today I got the syllabus and won't be excused for an exam (worth 15% of the grade) due to a MD interview.
There are two interviews that were scheduled on two different days, and my flight is 5 hours, so I can't exactly change the flight to the same day as the interview.

Please see my options below and let me know what you think the best solution is:

A) Pay the airlines to change my flight ($200) and ask my first interviewer to push back my interview by 1 day. (CON: money and possibly being an inconvenience to said interviewer)

B) Take the class credit/no credit and just miss the exam, pass the class with a credit grade, save money and not change the interview. (CON: getting a credit grade versus a real grade and having adcoms think that maybe Precalc was too hard for me)

C) Drop the class and try to teach myself Precalc (I have the book now after all) and try to convince the department to give me my money back.

please let me know what option above you think is best and/or if you have any other ideas? The prof only excuses death in the family and/or serious illness with a doctor's note...I can't be unethical and lie so that option is out of the question.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE EVERYONE!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there,

A class that I'm enrolled in just started today...preface: it's at night and worth only 2 credits (Precalculus). It has been a while since taking Calc so I feel that I really NEED to take this class before taking calc (required by many schools I'm applying to). Today I got the syllabus and won't be excused for an exam (worth 15% of the grade) due to a MD interview.
There are two interviews that were scheduled on two different days, and my flight is 5 hours, so I can't exactly change the flight to the same day as the interview.

Please see my options below and let me know what you think the best solution is:

A) Pay the airlines to change my flight ($200) and ask my first interviewer to push back my interview by 1 day. (CON: money and possibly being an inconvenience to said interviewer)

B) Take the class credit/no credit and just miss the exam, pass the class with a credit grade, save money and not change the interview. (CON: getting a credit grade versus a real grade and having adcoms think that maybe Precalc was too hard for me)

C) Drop the class and try to teach myself Precalc (I have the book now after all) and try to convince the department to give me my money back.

please let me know what option above you think is best and/or if you have any other ideas? The prof only excuses death in the family and/or serious illness with a doctor's note...I can't be unethical and lie so that option is out of the question.

I think C is your best bet.

Mhh,

Go to the dean/pre-med advisor and ask them to e-mail your professor, maybe you can take it a week early??

If that doesn't work, I vote choice A, then B.

B is a gamble, but it's feasible. Since you're applying to med school this year if you get a B or B- in precalc, I can't imagine that any adcom would care...

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you actually spoke to your professor about excusing you that day and what extenuating circumstances you have? Ask if you can take it earlier then everybody, they're usually quite receptive to it.

thanks. I asked him to take it early and he said "NO"... I will email someone tomorrow morning and see if they can have any influence on the professor. But sometimes the prof's policy wins. :(

I really wanted to take this class too. I feel like it could help boost my GPA even that much more for a possible reapp next year.

Have you actually spoke to your professor about excusing you that day and what extenuating circumstances you have? Ask if you can take it earlier then everybody, they're usually quite receptive to it.

Yes, I spoke with him today (basically begged him) and he said no. Only if there is a death in the family which has "been his policy ever since he started teaching." He asked me to move the interview.

mmh, well if a possible reapp is in play, I would do choice A only IF it the interview can be rescheduled back a few days (not like 2 months)....

otherwise, forget precalc and enjoy your nights...preview your calc book instead and you'll be fine.

I'd probably go with option B, if you learn the material well enough and make an A in future mathematics courses in the future, it should be overlooked (granted it will still affect your sGPA).

Edit: Err actually read option A, I'd try that first, and honestly you're not that much of an inconvenience doing that. Don't forget a LOT of people ask for rearrangements (can be moved up/down)

Last edited:
Take it P/NP. Pre-calc isn't a pre-req for med school and since you're already applying this year, your science gpa is already locked.

Guy is probably jelly that you get to be a doctor, and he's stuck teaching math foreva. :(

Guy is probably jelly that you get to be a doctor, and he's stuck teaching math foreva. :(

I don't think he understands how important it is.. I told him it was a medical school interview and then he called it a job interview..... so I emphasized that it was for admission to a graduate program.

I will sleep on this one before emailing the interviewer. OK so the deal with the interviewer is that she preferred the 7th over the 8th of November (with this school you kind of schedule it yourself) so if I have the change the flight, the interview would be on the 8th instead of the 7th, which is only one day back. However, I feel weird since she already said she preferred the 7th over the 8th.

In the meantime, I guess I will see if I can email the program coordinator for a potential refund or to see if she can contact the prof.

Also $200 is going to take away from the nice suit I was saving up to buy for at the end of October.

I don't think he understands how important it is.. I told him it was medical school and then he called it a job interview..... so I emphasized that it was for admission to a graduate program.

I will sleep on this one before emailing the interviewer. OK so the deal with the interviewer is that she preferred the 7th over the 8th of November (with this school you kind of schedule it yourself) so if I have the change the flight, the interview would be on the 8th instead of the 7th, which is only one day back. However, I feel weird since she already said she preferred the 7th over the 8th.

Also $200 is going to take away from the nice suit I was saving up to buy for at the end of October.

NOOOO!!!!!! The suit is more important!!!

P/NP or talk to the dean/boss of your school.

I'd probably just drop it and take it next semester. Calc isn't a requirement for med schools (most) anyway so shouldn't be a big deal to not take calculus, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
NOOOO!!!!!! The suit is more important!!!

P/NP or talk to the dean/boss of your school.

OK thank you. I just sent off an email to the program coordinator.

Will P/NP seem like I was getting a C though??

BTW, not sure if this matters or not, this course is an extension course, provided by a 4 year, but a separate program so instead of a Dean, etc. there is a program coordinator who seems to be the 'highest up'

I'd probably just drop it and take it next semester. Calc isn't a requirement for med schools (most) anyway so shouldn't be a big deal to not take calculus, right?

Like 5-6 schools that I am applying to require it, and won't accept my AP score.

UC Davis doesn't give out acceptances until you finish their pre-reqs... so it's kind of sticky.. but have I even gotten an II from them? No. However, it's just ****-luck that I would after dropping this course to prevent me from finishing Calc in time. But like I said for option C, since I have the book, I can just do a self-study course if I put my mind to it.

The more I read this thread... the more I am leaning towards options B or C.

Just do good in Calc and no one will care about a P in pre-calc. If anybody asks just explain the exam conflict.

Or start raising hell with the program coordinator; I've never heard of a professor responding like this to a medical school interview, or I've just been lucky.

Last edited:
Honestly? I find that Pre-Calc has very little to do with Calculus other than things you can look up online and memorize.

Most of the stuff is definitely self study - able and you will do fine.

I feel so lame because it's rare to actually WANT to really take a class for the sake of taking it.. but I feel that it will really help prep me for Calc. On the other hand, we took a placement exam and my score fell within the range of bypassing Precalc and being ready for Calc... any additional thoughts?

Thanks all for your input/advice. My mom and non-pre med friends don't exactly 'get it' when it comes to pre-med stuff ;)

Honestly? I find that Pre-Calc has very little to do with Calculus other than things you can look up online and memorize.

Most of the stuff is definitely self study - able and you will do fine.

do I need to know limits before Calc though? Because I definitely forgot about that.

Hmmm sucks that so many schools require calc for you.

But I definitely agree that pre-calc has literally nothing to do with calculus. It's just an added trig/algebra booster class to get you prepared. Calc is really in it's own league, it doesn't really take much trig or algebra (aside from the basics). If you're comfortable with them then just ditch precalc and take calc next semester.

do I need to know limits before Calc though? Because I definitely forgot about that.

Limits are introduced in the beginning of Calc, if I remember correctly. I also remember the first third of Calc 1 being "pre-calc." Plus, you can wikipedia limits and understand the concept in 15 minutes.

Wow, I feel sorry for you man. This professor seems like a dick.

If I was you, I would've complained to my premed advisor and actually visit the dean of my college. They are very accessible and I would just go to their office. I'm surprised this professor isn't letting you miss a class.

Worst comes to worst, I would chose option B. But I seriously recommend to go see the dean of your specific college. To solve this problem, go straight to the top.

hmm okay thanks everyone for your input! I feel like 2 semester credits won't make much of a positive dent on my BCMP anyways.

So is the general consensus NOT to push the interview and flight back by 1 day (to the day the interviewer said she could do but didn't prefer in previous emails)?

Thanks again this has been very helpful.

Will P/NP seem like I was getting a C though??

Depending on the school and how they define their course requirements, I've had anywhere from 1-5 courses listed as P/F in the "prerequisites" section of my secondaries. I don't think it's a big deal to have P/F classes if you also have upper level courses with traditional grades as well (which you will if you took calc later).

Also, may need to look up your schools that require calculus, but some will take statistics in its place.

Like 5-6 schools that I am applying to require it, and won't accept my AP score.

UC Davis doesn't give out acceptances until you finish their pre-reqs... so it's kind of sticky.. but have I even gotten an II from them? No. However, it's just ****-luck that I would after dropping this course to prevent me from finishing Calc in time. But like I said for option C, since I have the book, I can just do a self-study course if I put my mind to it.

The more I read this thread... the more I am leaning towards options B or C.

Well how did you do on the APs? I know you said it's been a while since you've taken it, but if you took the AP course and did fine, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for you to pick the subject back up. I'd go with Options B or C... but I would lean towards C if you have a good handle on math in general.

I feel so lame because it's rare to actually WANT to really take a class for the sake of taking it.. but I feel that it will really help prep me for Calc. On the other hand, we took a placement exam and my score fell within the range of bypassing Precalc and being ready for Calc... any additional thoughts?

Thanks all for your input/advice. My mom and non-pre med friends don't exactly 'get it' when it comes to pre-med stuff ;)

Like others have said, I don't recall pre-calc being THAT helpful for calculus. Calculus really is more of a different concept. Pre-calc, IIRC, is more trig and just really mastering the skills needed to do advanced algebra quickly and stuff like that...

hmm okay thanks everyone for your input! I feel like 2 semester credits won't make much of a positive dent on my BCMP anyways.

So is the general consensus NOT to push the interview and flight back by 1 day (to the day the interviewer said she could do but didn't prefer in previous emails)?

Thanks again this has been very helpful.

It depends on how close your interview is. It's bit kind of rude to switch your interview day one or two weeks prior from attending without a valid excuse. Hopefully, they are more understandable than your strict professor. Have you thought about bringing your professor a pumpkin latte before class one day? You never know how it'll change his/her mood. :)

It depends on how close your interview is. It's bit kind of rude to switch your interview day one or two weeks prior from attending without a valid excuse. Hopefully, they are more understandable than your strict professor. Have you thought about bringing your professor a pumpkin latte before class one day? You never know how it'll change his/her mood. :)

It is 6 weeks from now. You are right though plus I feel like the interviewer would have some kind of preconceived notion of me... especially if email is the first impression I feel like I don't want to screw things up before I even meet them in person.

LOL about the pumpkin latte idea... sigh. I found a precalc class offered through UC Berkeley extension (online) that you complete at your convenience so long as you pay for an approved proctor to administer the final exam. So I suppose if I can't teach myself what's in the book I can always do that... I feel like since I got the syallbus from this guy today, and have the book, I can essentially do this on my own. Especially after reading everyone's comments about precalc in general.

Thanks again everyone and please ignore typos... typing super fast here!!

Honestly if you do P/F for precalc and do just fine in calculus nobody is going to worry about it.

The catch is you have to do well in calculus.

To me it's a no-brainer... give the prof the double bird, drop the class, and go to the interview like a boss.

You're stressing over a class that is unnecessary. Just take Calc I next semester and maybe put a little more time into it and you'll be fine.

to me it's a no-brainer... Give the prof the double bird, drop the class, and go to the interview like a boss.

You're stressing over a class that is unnecessary. Just take calc i next semester and maybe put a little more time into it and you'll be fine.

+1

My teachers wont excuse me either. I have to take my exams early. That could be an option for you.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

To me it's a no-brainer... give the prof the double bird, drop the class, and go to the interview like a boss.

You're stressing over a class that is unnecessary. Just take Calc I next semester and maybe put a little more time into it and you'll be fine.

I like this. Maybe minus the double bird. Precalc can be self-taught very easily and the internet has lots of resources that are actually useful. I would check out tutorials on youtube and ditch the class. Possibly getting an easy A doesn't seem worth the stress for you.

Also I had no idea precalc was even offered at the college level. Badum stch

I would go over your professors head to the chair of the department or the dean. But if that didn't work, you could just audit the class to learn the material in order to prepare for calculus.

If it's not required, and they don't take roll, just drop but show up anyway. You'll get what you need in terms of learning, come and go as you please, no problem.

My teachers wont excuse me either. I have to take my exams early. That could be an option for you.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I'm applying after graduating and it's such a relief to not have to worry about exams and classwork and stuff while applying. The PI I work with is a part of admissions for a med school actually and completely understands the importance of interviews and why I have to miss work, so grateful :D. OP I would have a meeting with the dean if I were you and try to get him on your side, good luck!

Hi there,

You can't even get the guy to let you take it early? Any chance for a make-up exam? If "no" on both... I'd probably take it pass/fail or audit. If you have calc on your transcript and it's just been a while (or were you referring to HS?) it seems like it wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Update: I spoke with a 'higher up' and they said there is nothing they can do since it's up to the professor. The professor would not let me take the exam early and after reading through the thread and sleeping on it, I dropped the course and got my money back. Now I can buy an even nicer suit I suppose.

What worried me was the possibility of having another interview invite that could possibly conflict with another class. Since missing that exam would mean my max score could be 85%, taking it P/NP just wasn't worth it to me from a risk assessment perspective. LOL.

Plus this has been stressing me out... I will study the Precalc book and use his syllabus as a guideline and then take Calculus next semester as planned.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

Update: I spoke with a 'higher up' and they said there is nothing they can do since it's up to the professor. The professor would not let me take the exam early and after reading through the thread and sleeping on it, I dropped the course and got my money back. Now I can buy an even nicer suit I suppose.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

Nice...

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

We gotchu!