Need Advice: Quit job or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

To quit or not

• YES

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • NO

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters

mdb6476

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I could really use some advice. I currently work a full-time job at a Pharmecautical company on a bshift (2-1030pm)..and have worked there for 4 years (2 full and 2 part-time in college). I make 19/hr so it's good money, but I work alone, have to work holidays (no extra pay), no benefits, and I work weekends. I hate the job more than anything due to hours and working conditions. Since I got into my state school, I really want to quit...but realistically I will probably only find a much lower paying day job. I really would just like to enjoy my time before D-school, especially since I have to move away from my friends, family and boyfriend.

Do you think quitting is a good idea or should I stick it out?

fyi. I have only about 3,800 in the bank..lol

EDIT: I have no car payments/insurance, no rent( I live with my parents) , I have a 30/month cell phone bill and that's it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I could really use some advice. I currently work a full-time job at a Pharmecautical company on a bshift (2-1030pm)..and have worked there for 4 years (2 full and 2 part-time in college). I make 19/hr so it's good money, but I work alone, have to work holidays (no extra pay), no benefits, and I work weekends. I hate the job more than anything due to hours and working conditions. Since I got into my state school, I really want to quit...but realistically I will probably only find a much lower paying day job. I really would just like to enjoy my time before D-school, especially since I have to move away from my friends, family and boyfriend.

Do you think quitting is a good idea or should I stick it out?

fyi. I have only about 3,800 in the bank..lol

stay in the job until the summer and save as much as you can!! make sure you take a nice vacation ( at least a month) before you start school. Good luck

I would quit. You are going to be locked up in your room/library enough during dental school. Relax!

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your expenses - rent, food, gas, cell phone, car insurance, cable/internet all take a toll on $3800 pretty quickly. Can you just cut back on your hours at work, maybe go p/t?

Depends on your expenses - rent, food, gas, cell phone, car insurance, cable/internet all take a toll on $3800 pretty quickly. Can you just cut back on your hours at work, maybe go p/t?

Thanks for the responses everyone!! and for more info. I live with my parents so I pay no rent, I have no car insurance or payments. I would plan on getting a different, day job..but I would be making much less.

I pay 30/month for my "dumb" phone...haha

I can relate to you, I used to work for a Pharmaceutical company and worked the worst shift ever - every weekend Fri-Mon 10 hours a day. I had to quit after less than a year just because I couldn't stand my hours and hated my manager. My pay was about the same with good benefits, 401k, overtime and holidays pay... I went back to a dental practice I used to work at, took a pay cut without benefits. Even though working at an office was a great experience and adcoms seem to like it... I sometimes regret that I didn't stay at a company and could have saved much more money for dental school.

Since the pay at the office is not worth my time and effort, I plan on quitting in March or April to travel until July.

I think you should quit 2-3 months before school starts :)

PS: I wouldn't survive alone with my job since I have to support myself so I also work as a babysitter whenever I can, it's good money, I get pay around $20/hr cash (but I have 8+ yrs experience with kids). If you want to make money fast and like kids, check craigslist for families looking for nanny. Good luck!!

I can relate to you, I used to work for a Pharmaceutical company and worked the worst shift ever - every weekend Fri-Mon 10 hours a day. I had to quit after less than a year just because I couldn't stand my hours and hated my manager. My pay was about the same with good benefits, 401k, overtime and holidays pay... I went back to a dental practice I used to work at, took a pay cut without benefits. Even though working at an office was a great experience and adcoms seem to like it... I sometimes regret that I didn't stay at a company and could have saved much more money for dental school.

Since the pay at the office is not worth my time and effort, I plan on quitting in March or April to travel until July.

I think you should quit 2-3 months before school starts :)

Good ideas here! I guess I may save up for a bit and in the mean time look for something that's not too low paying! If I don't find anything decent I'll just quit a few months before school :) I'm excited at just the thought of it....:D

I wouldn't quit til maybe June. Just work for the next 6 months and save money. Your making 19 an hour. There is many who wish they were making the same (including me hahaha). Once you quit you can go to Punta Cana with friends and/or bf and have a blast right before dental school.

I wouldn't quit til maybe June. Just work for the next 6 months and save money. Your making 19 an hour. There is many who wish they were making the same (including me hahaha). Once you quit you can go to Punta Cana with friends and/or bf and have a blast right before dental school.

Ya, see the money really strings me here..I am still gunna look around for other opportunities but if not I will be quitting a few months before school. A cruise sounds nice...

im in a similar situation and ive officially decided to quit this friday. im working as an assistant for a woman who pays really well (18) but she drives me insane. honestly the work is degrading and impossible. its making me miserable. yeah, the moneys great and i did manage to save 3000 in 3 months, but its just not worth it to me. this job is not worth my happiness and even though i know i should be able to just rough it out til the summer, i cannot bring myself to do it. my minds made up (but it would be nice to get some positive reinforcement about my decision!)

im in a similar situation and ive officially decided to quit this friday. im working as an assistant for a woman who pays really well (18) but she drives me insane. honestly the work is degrading and impossible. its making me miserable. yeah, the moneys great and i did manage to save 3000 in 3 months, but its just not worth it to me. this job is not worth my happiness and even though i know i should be able to just rough it out til the summer, i cannot bring myself to do it. my minds made up (but it would be nice to get some positive reinforcement about my decision!)

:thumbup::laugh:. I've been there, never want to go back

ya, I'm with you lots of days. I'm the only employee without benefits, I work the holidays, alone. It's depressing, don't see my friends who have day jobs. Haven't had celebrated certain Holidays with my family in over 4 years like Easter, Memorial Day.. I work in the afternoon an evening every July 4th. There are people who've been here for 1 year that get treated much better than me, get paid 25 (with benefits) versus my 19 for the same job..all because when I was 19 and first started I said I wanted to be a dentist after college. They know I need the money and will eventually leave so I get shoved to the gutter. :( Because I got into my top choice and my state school I feel like this might give me some incentive to finally take the plunge. And good for you, you give me motivation!! :)

read "the total money make-over" by Dave Ramsey then decide.