Need Advice: Re-applicant and new member

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdentistwish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers,

I was wondering if you guys had any advice for my situation. I applied last July and took my DAT last August so my application was complete mid-september. I have a 3.5 oGPA and a 3.4 sGPA. On the DAT I had an 18 AA and an 18 TS (including a 17 in reading). I applied to about 17 schools and only had 1 interview and was waitlisted at that school. I also got rejected at Midwestern but had my application transferred over to the SMP program at Midwestern .

Do you guys think I should do the SMP? Is it worth the $40,000. Also I do plan on retaking the DAT to get a better score. I am an international applicant, but did my undergrad at an American University.

Also I don't really have any big changes in my application other than a bit more volunteering, working, and shadowing.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think a DAT retake would be most helpful. Your GPA is more than sufficient, I don't think SMP is necessary.
You've been on your game today!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
An 18 AA and TS are below average, and a 17 RC isn't helping either. A lot of schools weigh the RC score heavily. Retake the DAT, get at least a 20+, possibly rework your PS, and apply early!

Thank you for all your help! I also had one more question... does being an international student impact my chances of admission significantly ?

As an international student I'm kind of worried that I won't land any interviews. And an SMP might inc my chances because it guarantees an interview if I maintain my gpa (For example I heard that at MDW-IL the masters in biomedical science will guarantee you an interview if you have a certain gpa)....so my question is do you think I should pursue the masters degree at MDW-IL for the sole reason that I am an international student? Or would retaking the DAT be sufficient?

Being international definitely limits certain schools that you would be eligible to apply only if you're a legal resident here. And even then, some state schools which are OOS and international friendly favor in-state residents (e.g Buffalo). There are also schools which does not even enroll OOS who are legal citizen of the U.S.
As long as you've graduated from an American accredited college and satisfy all other checklists on the application process, there's no reason you would be discriminated against. If it makes you feel any better, I am an OOS, international, non-traditional and non-science major, took my DAT in mid Sept. And I received interview invitations from 50% of the schools that I applied to, and even though I didn't get accepted to all of them, I still managed to land one with scholarship.
If I'm in your shoes, I would definitely retake the DAT, shadow a different dentist, put in more community service hours (preferably involving under-served population) and rewrite PS! Don't disregard your effort and don't give up. You're first attempt on the DAT may not be stellar but it's DECENT! With the foundation already laid, there should not be a problem to make AA 21+ on your next attempt. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user