Need advice regarding MCAT prep!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebillion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

First some background info:
Currently a sophomore, social science major and minor in biology. Prereqs completed: bio 1 and bio 2, cell bio, organic 1 and 2, physics 1.

I need some guidance regarding effectively preparing for the MCAT and balancing some other aspects of my life this summer. Currently, I am registered to take Physics 2 and Human Physiology (with a notoriously tough teacher) during the summer semester. I also plan on working ~15 hours in the lab (on an individual project) and I am signed up for a PR MCAT course. I am going to be taking the exam in January.

Does this schedule sound excessive? I do not want to take any science courses during the fall semester so I can completely devote it to MCAT prep. My seniors are advising me to lighten up my load this summer. I appreciate any and all input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

Currently a sophomore, social science major and minor in biology. Prereqs completed: bio 1 and bio 2, cell bio, organic 1 and 2, physics 1.

I need some guidance regarding effectively preparing for the MCAT and balancing some other aspects of my life this summer. Currently, I am registered to take Physics 2 and Human Physiology (with a notoriously tough teacher) during the summer semester. I also plan on working ~15 hours in the lab (on an individual project) and I am signed up for a PR MCAT course. I am going to be taking the exam in January.

Does this schedule sound excessive? I do not want to take any science courses during the fall semester so I can completely devote it to MCAT prep. My seniors are advising me to lighten up my load this summer. I appreciate any and all input!

It seems possible, I mean it all depends it all comes down to how much time you're going to put into studying. Are you going to come home from work/school/whatever and spend the rest of your night studying? The days that you're free are you going to want to hang out and spend time with your friends or devote that time to studying? People are probably telling you to lighten up the summer load because they expect you'll want to go out and have fun with your friends during summer break. It's definitely doable, but i'd probably expect not to see any friends or do anything else other than your school work, research, and MCAT studies.

Hello everyone!

SN2ed advises that you do not work and you do not take classes while using his schedule, so that should give an idea of what is optimal. I took one class this semester and worked full time because I had no other choice. I can tell you that it is very very difficult and you will have zero social life. SN2ed 4 month variation requires 6 hrs of work a day during the content review portion. If you think you can do that and do the other things in your schedule than go for it! Otherwise, I would advise you to listen to SN2ed's advice.