Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Need advice regarding my weird summer plans please!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Oblivion, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Oblivion

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I need some advice please...

As of right now, I've secured a summer research position. I'm in the process of filling out the immunization and hire forms. However, I just got an email from my chemistry department. This was something I applied to way back in November-ish about a summer research exchange program in Germany at the University of Konstanz. I had assumed that I was rejected since I haven't heard from them since, but now they say that have funding for one more person and asks if I'm interested.

Now, I need to take the MCAT this summer. I'd drop everything in a heartbeat to go to Germany if not for this. On one hand, I thought I can take the test late August or early September when I get back, but I found out that the latest date I can take it would probably be around mid-August in order for the scores to be released in time for registration. FYI, I'm applying for Ontario schools and the application deadline for the schools is in early October. On the other hand, I thought I could do the test in Germany, however Konstanz isn't a major city and the closest test site would be in Munich, a good 200km away. Finally, it will no doubt be awkward having to reject the my current offer, which I had already accepted. But it should still be possible, though I can expect some bitter sentiments. And don't get me wrong. This research position right now is at Toronto's SickKids Hospital and thus a very good opportunity.

So I'm wondering what I should do. Money isn't really too big of an issue. Research here is very reputable. Research in Germany would certainly stand out on the application I would guess. But studying for the MCAT, I'm just afraid in Germany, I'd be too preoccupied and/or distracted by the foreign surroundings to put in a good effort. My parents say I should stay here and just focus on studying as the priority, for there will be opportunities in the future for travel.

Any tips? Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LatinaDr1984

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hey there!

Well in the end its ultimately ur choice.. but I say go to Germany.. this is a once in a life time opportunity.. and you will hear ppl say that you have more opportunities later on to travel but that is not always the case.. I went abroad my senir year.. against the wishes of my premed adivsor because I needed to stay at school and take more science classes... but you know what? It was the BEST time of my life:love: .. and I learned so much about myself when I was abroad that I would never regret my decision.. plus I met amazing people.. and for you, you will get to do research which will look interesting for the med schools.. But like I said it is your choice.. so I wish you luck in your decision... :)

4. Wanna_B_Scutty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm a bit of a risk-taker, so take this for what it's worth:

I'd do the summer in Germany with the MCAT in Munich. You can head to Munich a day or two early and make a little vacation out of it. This will be good for you because you're not supposed to study during the last few pre-MCAT days, anyway. :cool:

The way I see it, this is probably your last chance to live outside of the country... possibly ever. Some people do an away rotation in their 4th year in a foreign country, but if you need to do an "audition" rotation or two, that option won't be available to you. You won't want to look back on your life and forever wish you had taken this opportunity. Carpe diem, baby. :luck:

5. Oblivion

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the advice.

lol, That's the problem. If I get too distracted by the awesome experience, I may not have enough time to study. Research itself is quite a commitment, having to put in 8 hours maybe more a day. I'll also have to worry about my own food and room for that matter. But if I only study in Germany and not do anything fun, then it will sort of defeat the purpose of traveling to Germany in the first place.

And argh! I just talked to my parents. They think staying here and studying hard without distraction is more important and tell me that travel opportunities are plentiful in the future. My interpretation: when I'm really old. I'll have to sleep on this one. Thanks again. :D