Need advice regarding the August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indiandude87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently registered for the MCAT on July 17th but I am not confident that I can get a good score on it. I have already taken the MCAT a year ago and got a 33 (PS: 12, V: 9, BS: 12) and I've submitted my primary and my transcript, it is in the process of being verified. Would it be okay if I rescheduled my MCAT exam to early-mid August? Would it hurt my application badly if I took the MCAT in August? I already received secondary applications from two medical schools that I am applying to. However, if I do take it in August, would I receive my other secondaries AFTER I take the MCAT in August? I am applying to medical schools mainly in New York City and nearby areas. Please advise. Thank you very much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, when I took the MCAT the first time, I was facing some bad circumstances and I didn't do as well I thought I would do. So, I am retaking the MCAT because I know I can get higher than a 33. So yea, is it still okay to take the MCAT in August?

What were your AAMC score averages on the individual sections/composite score averages? It's REALLY easy to go down from a 12 on the sciences. I would recommend against it unless you were averaging like 38s.

That's the thing. I got scores close to high 30's on my AAMC exams. However, I would like to take it in August so that I give myself ample time to fully cover all my weaknesses.

dang... i see where your coming from in trying to best your score but a 33 is a pretty damn good score...

Im sure your convinced you can do better but i would suggest you also look at the perspective of maybe not doing as well... I read on SDN how some MCATs are harder then other... im not wishing you ill or anything but say you get one of those tougher exams (yeah funny...) and you do a little worse... you never know when your weakness will show up on test day...

With all that said i would at least sit back and evaluate not only the pros or CONS... if anything i would go into the test knowing that if i didnt feel comfortable at all i would just VOID the exam....

good luck

Hello, Indian Dude...........
How the hell did you score 9 in VR? I think it's pretty good if you are not ABCD (U know what I mean). I mean I would be happy to get just 8 in VR as English is not my first language.
Good luck with the process!!!

If you are ABCD, I think you can do a bit better than 9 (while hoping not to score low in PS and BS)...

You can certainly spend time on other, more useful things than retaking a test that you already scored pretty darn well on. I suggest not taking it.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will still take the test tomorrow and if I feel that I didn't do well, I will void it. Wish me luck! I need it. ;_;