Need Advice regarding writing my dual citizenship renounciation letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xmsr3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, in order to be commissioned into the US Military I must renounce my Polish citizenship, (I was born there, though I have lived in the US since 1989 and been a naturalized citizen since 1999) and mail my Polish passport, which I allowed to expire, to the polish embassy. According to USAREC Regulation 601-105 It must be a notorized letter, and it and a Fedex Receipt indicating that the embassy recieved it, must be included with the EPSQ documents I supply for my security background check.

I was just hoping to get some feedback on the letter. Let me know if you think it seems appropriate and formal enough to suit its purpose.

To whom it may concern,
It is my greatest ambition to become a Commissioned Officer and pursue a lifelong career as a Physician in the United States Military Medical Corps. This requires the passing of a stringent background check in order to attain a security clearance. The holding of dual citizenship is grounds for rejection of said security clearance. I have lived, legally, in the United States since 1989 and have been a naturalized citizen since 1999. I have always considered myself 100% American and pledged allegiance to the United States and no other nation. However, in order to guarantee passage of my security background check I am complying with USAREC Regulation 601-105 and informing you that as of the date indicated below, I, (name), hereby do permanently renounce any and all citizenship originating in the Republic of Poland or any other nation and return to the Polish Embassy my passport, which I have allowed to expire. I pronounce myself free of any economic, political or military ties to the Republic of Poland and I, (name), hoping to be appointed an officer in the Military of the United States of America do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I hope to enter; So help me God.
Sincerely,
(name)
Date 7/21/2009
Signature_______________________________________________________________

The last sentence is a bit long as I included the swearing in oath for commissioned officers, slightly modified of course. I though it would be a nice touch.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i didnt even read your post but i read the title. you dont need to write a letter to anyone. when you go in for your interview at usuhs, you head down to the security clearance office to give in your paperwork. When you are there, you just tell them that you have dual citizenship, sign a tiny standard form that they have. That form is what they use to process everything IF you get into usuhs. easy as that.

i didnt even read your post but i read the title. you dont need to write a letter to anyone. when you go in for your interview at usuhs, you head down to the security clearance office to give in your paperwork. When you are there, you just tell them that you have dual citizenship, sign a tiny standard form that they have. That form is what they use to process everything IF you get into usuhs. easy as that.

good to know... I am a dual citizen with Ireland :luck: , and if I get an interview, I am glad I don't have to write any more than my signature.

It's the middle of secondary season... I have enough crap to write. ;)

I do have a question though... they process the paperwork when they accept you, or when you accept their offer?? What if I get accepted but go somewhere else? Would I still have given up my dual citizenship for nothing???

Not super important, I'm just wondering how it works.

THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad :)
They process it once you are accepted in order for you to get security clearance. You can't get an unconditional acceptance without security clearance. You can't go to the school without an unconditional acceptance.

So, I would think that if you sign the dotted line and are accepted into the school that they would go ahead and process it in order for you to get your unconditional acceptance. That would be a good question for the security officer at the school though (on interview day).

theGoose, thanks for the info I had no idea that's how it works at USUHS, but what about HPSP?

I am currently completing my file for review by the Navy HPSP committee and I was told that I would need to renounce citizenship with the letter and mailing of my passport in order to get the scholarship (in case I don't get into USUHS I am still going into Navy med). I am supposed to include a copy of the letter and the Fedex proof of delivery with the EPSQ forms.

Do you think they have the same standard form as USUHS?

I'm sure that if they don't have a form that they have a standard letter that you can ask for. There's no need for you to write an epic, it should be rather simple.

I'm sure that if they don't have a form that they have a standard letter that you can ask for. There's no need for you to write an epic, it should be rather simple.

In all fairness my letter is about 1 page double spaced and all it does it lay out why I am renouncing citizenship and concludes with the officer commissioning oath, hardly an epic.

I will check with Lieutenant Commander Meyer and see if such a form exists but if not, is what I wrote ok? Will the military get pissed that I plagerized their oath or find it endearing or just not care?

I just don't want to piss off the wrong people before my military career even gets started.

You seem like me in some ways... I used to really enjoy writing long letters and expressing every detail of my thoughts. I have since cut down considerably in doing this - as I find that most people just don't care, and would prefer things to just be concise. You and I might find it cute or endearing when we write our thoughts and details out, but most people just get annoyed and impatient. I guess it's just better to keep things simple if you really want people to pay more attention to what you say. Avoid the cuteness and just stick to the basics in your letter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I talked to my Army HPSP recruiter and he assures me that it doesn't really matter what the letter says as long as you make clear where your loyalties lie. In fact he told me he isn't sure I would have had a problem at all, being naturalized, but that its probably best not to take the chance. As someone who is obsessed with makeing sure that every I is dotted and every T crossed in this important process I agree with that and will be sending the letter shortly.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Hey I found myself in the same situation, would you be okay with me using your letter format?

Hey I found myself in the same situation, would you be okay with me using your letter format?
As other posters said, don't worry about it. You'll talk to some security folk, sign your name, and they'll take care of it for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Joining the renunciation party... :)

Hi @Rogert,

Is your post about the process at USUHS? If so, when does all that happen? What do you mean by "they'll take care of it for you."?

Thank you!

Hi @Rogert,

Is your post about the process at USUHS? If so, when does all that happen? What do you mean by "they'll take care of it for you."?

Thank you!

I can't speak for USUHS' exact process so I'm unsure of the timeline. But Goose made it sound pretty similar to when I renounced at a service academy and I'm betting it'll be before you swear in as an officer. The renunciation is really part of the background check for your security clearance. You're going to need to speak to a security person detailing what sort of ties you have to your other country of citizenship and to ensure your allegiance to the US. After that, you sign a paper saying you renounce your other citizenship and they'll file the paperwork for you. If they need anything else, they'll contact you. I'm not sure about needing to hand in passports or other documents because I didn't have any.

Awesome, will contact a security person. Thanks!! :D
They'll be the one's to contact you. You might be able to do it sooner, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Stuff a letter with a live bald eagle and 10 lbs of live fireworks.

Reactions: 2 users
Stuff a letter with a live bald eagle and 10 lbs of live fireworks.
Most of us are probably already on Federal Watch Lists. Not sure commiting like 5 felonies is going to help that :laugh:

Most of us are probably already on Federal Watch Lists. Not sure commiting like 5 felonies is going to help that :laugh:

Too much 'Merica for the Post Office to handle apparently :laugh:

Hi @Rogert,

Thank you!

When you submitted your SF86 during the USUHS interview they should've been able to pick up your dual citizenship status. All that happens is they generate a form letter and you sign and date as noted above.

I'm going through a similar ordeal... My country of birth automatically revoked my citizenship (per their law) when I became American 3 years ago - I received an official document stating so as well. I indicated in my application that I'm not a dual citizen, and I thought that would be the end of the story.

I took the Oath without any issue, but the Recruiting Command has held up my packet because I didn't prove any proof that I'm not a dual citizen. I submitted a translated copy of the document from my country of birth, but that alone may not be sufficient. Does this letter have an official name/form number? I might bring it up to my recruiter and find out how it would apply in my case.

I'm glad to prove that I'm not a dual citizen, but why not look into this before swearing-in?

When you submitted your SF86 during the USUHS interview they should've been able to pick up your dual citizenship status. All that happens is they generate a form letter and you sign and date as noted above.

Yes, they wrote " Dual " in big red letters across the front of my envelope. I signed a form, but I thought I would have to do more since I still have the foreign country's (long expired) passport, and that country, as far as I know, thinks I'm still a citizen. I haven't heard a peep from them since though, so...

Last edited:

What is this, the Soviet Union? Just give that bald eagle an assault rifle.

Yes, they wrote " Dual " in big red letters across the front of my envelope. I signed a form, but I thought I would have to do more since I still have the foreign country's (long expired) passport, and that country, as far as I know, thinks I'm still a citizen. I haven't heard a peep from them since though, so...

Sounds about right. Eh...what is the other country gonna do about it haha? Come and draft you?

Does this letter have an official name/form number? I might bring it up to my recruiter and find out how it would apply in my case.

When I was applying for HPSP my recruiter just emailed me a letter to sign and date renouncing citizenship to any other country despite the fact I've been a citizen for a very long time. Just ask them, they should have it.