Need Advice: Research experience problems with PI and LoR :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnFe

Paranoid Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to share my experience and I wish you can shed some light and give some advice.

I did 1.5 year research experience with this professor (20 hours per week!). Let's call her "Dr. McPhee" (In reference to Nanny Mcphee). Anyway, as a senior in undergrad, almost all the research labs are filled (5~15+ students). Dr. Mcphee's lab only contains 2 students! Because I'm desperate at that point, I went to her office hours and inquired about her research. She took me in because she needed students. Also, I had her for molecular genetics lab (2 sem units) and molecular genetics (3 units upper div/ double listed grad level). I got a B and C in her classes respectively. She had a really weird grading scale: a C is 75+ / B 83+ / A 93+. She also gave me a "B" as a letter grade for my undergrad research (3 units).

I always did what she told me. I followed all the procedures and asked if I have any questions. We had about 10+ episodes of altercations. I kept my cool and didn't engage. She's coming off as denigrating. Saying things like "YOU SHOULD know this, it's simple a MONKEY can do it" "YOU should follow the PROTOCOL. READ IT" Something along those lines. Most of the time she "yells" and gives a really bad attitude. Mind you, this is not a simple as counting drosophila legs or whatever part. I'm designing different DNA fragments to screen mutated phenotype and figure out if it is needed in determining cell polarity. (Restriction enzyme digest, DNA ligation, molecular genetics experiments etc.) My work was part of her research and it's not publish yet. (I don't even know if she will list me there. I submitted a written research report on the parts that I did).

Sorry for the long post but I need someone (pre-meds/medical students) to give me some advice.

This is one of my most meaningful experience. I learn a lot of things about research, how to troubleshoot and how to think independently and solve problems. But how can I list it if my professor is like this?! I don't even know if she will write a bad LoR and say "DON'T ACCEPT THIS GUY!!!" Should I speak about this in my PS (about her being difficult)? Should I still ask her about writing a LoR for me? To be honest, I'm intimidated by her but I stay on my grounds. Kept my cool. Still respected her despite her behavior and attitude.

Again, thank you for reading and your time! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're not sure you will get a good letter out of her, don't ask. I think it would be too much of a risk. I would rather get an average letter from a science professor from whom you taken a class from rather than roll the dice with your not-so-nice PI.

You can still add the research to the activities section of your app and list it as one of the "most meaningful" without having to get a LOR from her.

Sounds to me like there's a reason she has so few people in her lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to share my experience and I wish you can shed some light and give some advice.

I did 1.5 year research experience with this professor (20 hours per week!). Let's call her "Dr. McPhee" (In reference to Nanny Mcphee). Anyway, as a senior in undergrad, almost all the research labs are filled (5~15+ students). Dr. Mcphee's lab only contains 2 students! Because I'm desperate at that point, I went to her office hours and inquired about her research. She took me in because she needed students. Also, I had her for molecular genetics lab (2 sem units) and molecular genetics (3 units upper div/ double listed grad level). I got a B and C in her classes respectively. She had a really weird grading scale: a C is 75+ / B 83+ / A 93+. She also gave me a "B" as a letter grade for my undergrad research (3 units).

I always did what she told me. I followed all the procedures and asked if I have any questions. We had about 10+ episodes of altercations. I kept my cool and didn't engage. She's coming off as denigrating. Saying things like "YOU SHOULD know this, it's simple a MONKEY can do it" "YOU should follow the PROTOCOL. READ IT" Something along those lines. Most of the time she "yells" and gives a really bad attitude. Mind you, this is not a simple as counting drosophila legs or whatever part. I'm designing different DNA fragments to screen mutated phenotype and figure out if it is needed in determining cell polarity. (Restriction enzyme digest, DNA ligation, molecular genetics experiments etc.) My work was part of her research and it's not publish yet. (I don't even know if she will list me there. I submitted a written research report on the parts that I did).

Sorry for the long post but I need someone (pre-meds/medical students) to give me some advice.

This is one of my most meaningful experience. I learn a lot of things about research, how to troubleshoot and how to think independently and solve problems. But how can I list it if my professor is like this?! I don't even know if she will write a bad LoR and say "DON'T ACCEPT THIS GUY!!!" Should I speak about this in my PS (about her being difficult)? Should I still ask her about writing a LoR for me? To be honest, I'm intimidated by her but I stay on my grounds. Kept my cool. Still respected her despite her behavior and attitude.

I was in a similar situation-- I did not get along well with my PI, but thought my research experience was significant enough to warrant a LOR. At the end of the day, I asked my PI if he can write me a strong LOR and he agreed. Then I screened the letter through admissioncounsil (a service that screens LORs so you can still waive the right to see them).

It all turned out fine: I got a fantastic letter, have acceptances, and didn't feel that I risked my entire application cycle.

Under NO circumstances should you refer to someone badly in your personal statement.

DO NOT DO THIS! :uhno: