Need advice - school wants an answer while still waiting for top choice answer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaceyLPC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I need some advice. I got into school #1, a PsyD program. They want an answer and a $500 deposit by this Friday (2/22).

I interviewed with school #2 - a PhD program last Tuesday, and it is my #1 choice by far. They sent an email yesterday stating due to inclement weather and the school being closed, we will hear something by the end of the week hopefully.

What should I do? If the deposit for school 1 was just $100 or $200 I would just pay it and potentially lose it, as it's nonrefundable, but goes toward your first year tuition. It's $500 though.

There's a chance I may hear from my top choice in time, but if I don't should I ask school number 1 for an extension, or should I email my top choice and ask them if they can go ahead and give me an answer? I don't want to hurt my chances at either school. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

That is an early date with which to require an answer and deposit. As to the $500, if the PhD is funded, you will be saving that $500 many times over if you get in there and give up the deposit. You can e-mail/call and ask school #2, but it may be super early in their process. If the interview was last week, I doubt the committee has been able to meet yet.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm really suspicious of any program that would be pushing that hard for a deposit before the APA deadline.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I generally recommend against attending/ accepting any offer where a program "forces" you to accept before the 4/15 deadline.

I would wait for the PhD decision and, if it didn't work out, not lose any sleep "missing out" on a program so concerned with financial deposits of prospective students.

Reactions: 4 users
I got into school #1, a PsyD program. They want an answer and a $500 deposit by this Friday (2/22).
Congratulations on your acceptance and interviews! Others have mentioned an April 15 deadline. More information about that can be found from the Council of University Directors of Clinical Psychology Guidelines for Graduate School Offers and Acceptances. In addition, for offers that include funding, the Council of Graduate Schools have an April 15 Resolution for a deadline of April 15 to accept offers at the listed institutions. It is sketchy of a program to pressure candidates to accept an offer before that date.

Congratulations on your acceptance and interviews! Others have mentioned an April 15 deadline. More information about that can be found from the Council of University Directors of Clinical Psychology Guidelines for Graduate School Offers and Acceptances. In addition, for offers that include funding, the Council of Graduate Schools have an April 15 Resolution for a deadline of April 15 to accept offers at the listed institutions. It is sketchy of a program to pressure candidates to accept an offer before that date.

Not all that uncommon in the FSPS PsyD world. It's all about the Benjamin's.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd encourage applicants to review the linked documents. The Council of University Directors of Clinical Psychology (CUDCP) has established deadlines and procedures to to be in the the best interest of trainees, as well as other programs, with a recognition that there is overlap between schools and applicants. Any training program that is either not a member of CUDCP or does not adhere to their guidelines and deadlines potentially is not concerned about the impact on the applicant or other programs. That should be a message right there!

Hello,

I need some advice. I got into school #1, a PsyD program. They want an answer and a $500 deposit by this Friday (2/22).

I interviewed with school #2 - a PhD program last Tuesday, and it is my #1 choice by far. They sent an email yesterday stating due to inclement weather and the school being closed, we will hear something by the end of the week hopefully.

What should I do? If the deposit for school 1 was just $100 or $200 I would just pay it and potentially lose it, as it's nonrefundable, but goes toward your first year tuition. It's $500 though.

There's a chance I may hear from my top choice in time, but if I don't should I ask school number 1 for an extension, or should I email my top choice and ask them if they can go ahead and give me an answer? I don't want to hurt my chances at either school. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks.

I think it’s fair to ask the first shool to wait another week, explain the situation, and that most schools go by the April 15 deadline and you need a little more time.

It’s your money that would be lost here, so I’d be extremely cautious/hesitant about paying it before knowing about the other school.

Edit: whether they’re willing to be reasonable is completely up in the air, however, but you can certainly ask.

This is all the info needed.

In addition to what the others said, I cannot know what $500 means to you. If it were me, I would happily pay $500 to be happy for 5 to 7 years. This is essentially what you are doing if you pay the deposit and later opt to go to the PhD program. That said, $500 is a drop in the PsyD bucket. If you aren't comfortable spending this, are you going to be happy attending this PsyD program and paying (presumably) much more money in terms of debt?

In addition to what the others said, I cannot know what $500 means to you. If it were me, I would happily pay $500 to be happy for 5 to 7 years. This is essentially what you are doing if you pay the deposit and later opt to go to the PhD program. That said, $500 is a drop in the PsyD bucket. If you aren't comfortable spending this, are you going to be happy attending this PsyD program and paying (presumably) much more money in terms of debt?
It is a bit weird top quibble about $500 when the cost of attending that program is easily hundreds of times more than that.

As someone else noted, it's pretty obvious what this program's priorities are and they sure as hell aren't the best interests of the trainees.

It is a bit weird top quibble about $500 when the cost of attending that program is easily hundreds of times more than that.

As someone else noted, it's pretty obvious what this program's priorities are and they sure as hell aren't the best interests of the trainees.

Don't disagree, which is why I wouldn't hesitate to do what is best for me as an applicant in this case. Even of that means holding a spot I don't intend to keep later on. Only the OP can figure out if that is worth it to them to have the option to attend. Not sure about this person's current circumstances.

Don't disagree, which is why I wouldn't hesitate to do what is best for me as an applicant in this case. Even of that means holding a spot I don't intend to keep later on. Only the OP can figure out if that is worth it to them to have the option to attend. Not sure about this person's current circumstances.

This is true, but unfortunate to be out $500 just because you get in somewhere else as well, which shouldn’t be happening. I suppose that’s the overall point with this program, though; shady to require a big nonrefundable deposit long before the more reputable schools have decided in order to lock you in.

Makes me wonder if this is a deliberate strategy....pay just enough money (not a hundred or two, but 500) that it makes you feel like you’ve already invested energy/money into that program before other programs can decide if they’ll choose you? Or just a “happy” coincidence?

This is true, but unfortunate to be out $500 just because you get in somewhere else as well, which shouldn’t be happening. I suppose that’s the overall point with this program, though; shady to require a big nonrefundable deposit long before the more reputable schools have decided in order to lock you in.

Makes me wonder if this is a deliberate strategy....pay just enough money (not a hundred or two, but 500) that it makes you feel like you’ve already invested energy/money into that program before other programs can decide if they’ll choose you? Or just a “happy” coincidence?

I was looking at it as the most money you might be willing to forgo if you get into a better program. I wonder how many deposits they get to keep a year like that. Someone in the business department earned themself a nice little raise with that one.

Real simple advice: Call them and tell them you are honored to be admitted but you won't know about all of your offers, some of which are funded, for another week or two. If they give you crap run and don't look back.

They aren't going to rescind your offer (and lose your money) because they can't wait a week.

Reactions: 3 users
Real simple advice: Call them and tell them you are honored to be admitted but you won't know about all of your offers, some of which are funded, for another week or two. If they give you crap run and don't look back.

They aren't going to rescind your offer (and lose your money) because they can't wait a week.
This. I would definitely call them on their bluff. Also, this would completely turn me off from going to their program altogether. If they are willing to manipulate applicants into paying a non-refundable deposit and force them into a decision, then I can only imagine how they treat their current students.

I'm also wondering if this is Alliant trying to squeeze out some more money before they go bust...?

I'm also wondering if this is Alliant trying to squeeze out some more money before they go bust...?
The only program I have heard of doing this (not that I have sought out this info) is Wright Institute.

Hmmph I just looked back on my emails back In the day to see when a psyd school I was admitted to wanted the deposit by, and it was in April. I would also echo asking for an extension. I’m not sure what the norm is for deposits, but for shame asking for such an early deposit. Maybe you should send the admissions director this thread after you get into that PhD program ;)