NEED ADVICE! SHOULD I DROP ORGANIC 2?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by FUTUREPHARMACIST, 01.14.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. FUTUREPHARMACIST

FUTUREPHARMACIST

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm currently a sophomore pre-pharmacy major. I took Organic 1 last January and made a D because I slacked off on studying. I then took the class again the following summer (around 4-5 weeks long) and made a B, but I didn't really learn the reactions well. I'm in org. 2 now. Should I drop the class and take org. 1 again to really learn the reactions or should I stay in org. 2 and just review from org. 1? Has anyone else passed org.2 with an A without having a good foundation in org. 1? HELP, ADVICE NEEDED!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. chemguy79

chemguy79 New Member Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I'm surprised that your school allowed you to take Orgo 2 with a below average grade in Orgo 1. For example, UNC requires that students pass the pre-requisite class with a C- or greater.

Since Orgo 2 builds on the knowledge that you learned in Orgo 1, you should retake Orgo 1 this semester.

4. corey407woc

corey407woc 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    No I was I the same situation as you and orgo 2 is very different from orgo 1 in my opinion why take again when you've passed

5. FUTUREPHARMACIST

FUTUREPHARMACIST

Pre-Pharmacy
    After making a D in org. 1 I retook it and made a B. Now i'm in org.2

6. Jibby321

Jibby321 Ready or Not...... 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    You got a B on the retake. Don't waste your time and money retaking again.

kovop likes this.
  7. FUTUREPHARMACIST

FUTUREPHARMACIST

Pre-Pharmacy
    How'd do in org.2?

8. chemguy79

chemguy79 New Member Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Since you made a B in your second attempt, there's no real point in retaking the class. However, if you don't know the reactions well, you could be in for some trouble in Orgo 2. Study the reactions hard while learning the new stuff since most professors assume that you know Orgo 1 material already so that implied knowledge can appear on your Orgo 2 exams.

blueheron likes this.
  9. Khal87

Khal87 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Orgo 2 was very different from Orgo 1 so def. don't retake. Just focus on orgo 2 and study smart.

10. Lcfa2004

Lcfa2004

If you're having trouble I reccomend Organic as a Second language. Get both books and work problems related to your current material. They saved me.

11. AlPacino

AlPacino "We Will!" 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Organic chemistry 2 builds on all the reactions you learned from organic 1 and more. I would retake that class and make sure you finish it with complete understanding because you will not do well in organic 2 without having a solid organic 1 foundation.

I second this. Ochem as a second language was my science bible for two semesters. I would of never done as well as I did in ochem were it not for those little gems.

12. corey407woc

corey407woc 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yes I found Orgo 2 was very different from Orgo 1 and watching khan academy helped tremendously and other videos online. My second semester in pharmacy school is based on orgo 2 so pay attention to structures and such.

13. snickersrx

snickersrx

Pre-Pharmacy
    For me, I thought Orgo 2 was easier than Orgo 1.

Jibby321 likes this.
  14. FUTUREPHARMACIST

FUTUREPHARMACIST

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks! I heard great things about Organic as a Second Language. If it's that great, I'm definitely buying it!

15. kovop

kovop 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    This. We used this at Campbell, I made a B in both organics, but high A's on the tests. My lab grade was terrible...

About the ads