• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Need Advice!!! SMP or DIY Post Bacc/ MCAT Prep

Ronisha C

2+ Year Member
May 23, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
    I’m currently in a predicament and need your advice. I’m a graduate student with a BS in biomedical sciences. My cGPA is 3.2, sGPA 3.0 and MCAT 489 (first attempt). I was advised to enroll in a special masters program but soon realized that going that route would be expensive. The courses that I have C’s in are: gen chem 2, microbiology, biochemistry 1/2, and physics 1. I have A’s in: Ochem 1, endocrinology, generics, [stats], and B’s in: A&P 1/2, Bio 1/2, Ochem 2, Med micro, immunology, chem 1, physics 2, neurobiology, pathophys, and physiology. My main question is whether or not I should do the SMP or DIY post bac/ MCAT prep for the next year and apply to Med school Fall 2019.
    I’ve applied to LMU Master of biomedical professions (students have the opportunity to take Med school course, and it’s a linkage program) but haven’t gotten an acceptance/declination. I just dont want to waste money applying to anymore programs especially if I end up doing a DIY post bacc.

DV-T

5+ Year Member
    Nov 11, 2015
    1. Medical Student
      Read this Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Assuming your ECs are competitive, I would focus on doing a DIY PB with upper level science courses and getting a higher 2nd MCAT score. Don't repeat any courses you have a C or better in.

Are you URM? If so, then with a 2nd higher MCAT score and A's in your PB, you have a decent shot at MDs. Otherwise, DOs.

Ronisha C

2+ Year Member
      May 23, 2017
      1. Pre-Medical
        Read this Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Assuming your ECs are competitive, I would focus on doing a DIY PB with upper level science courses and getting a higher 2nd MCAT score. Don't repeat any courses you have a C or better in.

Are you URM? If so, then with a 2nd higher MCAT score and A's in your PB, you have a decent shot at MDs. Otherwise, DOs.

I have 200+hours volunteer at a children’s hospital, 75 hours shadowing physicians, 50 hours working in a physicians office, and currently working as an ER scribe/ volunteering at a hospice. I have 1.5 yrs as an officer for leeadership society. But yes I’m a URM.

About the Ads

DV-T

5+ Year Member
        Nov 11, 2015
        1. Medical Student
          Then you don't need the expensive and risky SMP. Do a DIY PB and focus on the increasing your 2nd MCAT score. You might also get some non-clinical volunteering in a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, Big Brother/Big Sister, etc to round out your app.

GL!

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.