need advice soon!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mish550

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a freshman in college. I have gen bio done and have worked in some labs before. However, i'm not an expert in laboratory work in any means. My question is that I have an opportunity to conduct a research experiment at a medical school close by. From what I gather, the prof at the med school wants me to do extensive research-- ie. he doesn't want me to be washing test tubes, but rather doing actual research. I am in a BS/MD program and he's going to be one of the profs that I'll eventually have.

Should I go through with it or wait till I gain more experience from labs in classes??

thanks!

------------------
-Mark
"It must be said that genuine compassion is not like pity or a feeling that others are somehow lower than you. Rather, with genuine compassio you view others as more important than yourself" (Dalai Lama)

Members don't see this ad.

DEFINITELY GO FOR IT.

You may not get another golden opportunity like this one. Its great that you will actually be doing real research and not just lab cleanup stuff. This prof could turn out to be a key connection for you later when you apply to residency programs.

The only reason why I wouldnt do it if I was you is if I didn't like research. Otherwise its a great opportunity.

You may not have done actual research before, just come clean with him/her and be willing to read alot of background material to get caught up with what that prof is specifically doing.

It sounds to me like you have a good shot at a publication if you pursue it.

Good luck.

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

[This message has been edited by baylor21 (edited 01-22-2001).]

An opportunity like that doesn't come along very often.

I would absolutely go for it.

If you don't...let me know where I can sign up!

Best of luck to you!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"