Need advice--sort of PCAT related, but not really

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.iz-n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty upset right now. I've been crying my eyes out, and I just needed to get objective points of view right now.

So I'm still doing my last minute studying for the PCAT, and trying to review as much as I can for the 24th. So far, I'm doing okay, but I am very stressd right now with studying for this, teaching courses online, working fulltime, and doing volunteer work, and I've had some health issues that I have to monitor every three months with follow-ups (too much, I know.)

I have a boyfriend of 2 years who tells me today that anyone who isn't 1) making a million dollars, 2) in the entertainment of sports industry are LAME! I said to him, so you think that what I do everyday, trying to better myself so I can help other people is lame? Then he corrected himself and kinda laughed it off, but he still reiterated his point. I told him I didn't think it was funny. I told him that OTHER people might think those professions (sports and entertainment) is lame. I told him I thought it was disrespectful. Then he said I was overreacting and I needed to get a better sense of humor and that I'm too uptight. We got off the phone, and I've been upset for the last hour.

Am I overreacting? I've got all this stress on my mind, and then for me to hear something like that I totally got upset. I really hope and pray I do well on my PCAT and get into a great school so I can show him what a LAME DUDE HE IS FOR REAL and then I become the successful pharmacist.

Just wanted perspective...SOrry so long.

Members don't see this ad.

If you think he was just playing around, then I wouldn't stress about it too much, if he's the kind of guy who jokes about stuff all the time. However, anybody close to you that mocks your dreams and goals is not someone to be around...just not cool. Might want to sit him down and tell him in person how serious you are about what you want to do...and if he still laughs at you, kick his ass to the curb. That's just insensitive BS. A boyfriend should be someone who supports you!
Stay strong and be true to yourself - don't let anybody bring you down! You can do it!

He's not really a joker. So that's why I think he tried to clean it up and call it a joke. I just think whether its a joke or not, that's a poor choice of words, and it's sort of insensitive to me since I have a lot on my plate right now, especially with studying. I just don't know...

But I appreicate the persepctive...Still studying hard, but still feel kinda messed up. Maybe this will motivate me EVEN more to do better on the PCAT this coming weekend since it kinda hurt my feelings and pissed me off...

If you think he was just playing around, then I wouldn't stress about it too much, if he's the kind of guy who jokes about stuff all the time. However, anybody close to you that mocks your dreams and goals is not someone to be around...just not cool. Might want to sit him down and tell him in person how serious you are about what you want to do...and if he still laughs at you, kick his ass to the curb. That's just insensitive BS. A boyfriend should be someone who supports you!
Stay strong and be true to yourself - don't let anybody bring you down! You can do it!

If he's not a joker, and he knows that you're having a tough time (health issues, studying, volunteering and being uber busy), then I would seriously consider letting him go. If he's been with you for two years, he should know better and I agree he's being super insensitive. Not having to deal with him and his crap could be really liberating for you.

Regardless of what you decide to do about him, take a deep breath, go do something relaxing that you enjoy for a while, and take a little study break. Take a nice bath or something, or read a book, watch a movie. Remember to take short breaks while you're studying.

I can only imagine how stressed you are. Just know there are people out there who support you (even if you don't know them! lol) and wish the best for you. Relax, be efficient in your studying, don't burn out studying, and you'll rock the PCAT on Saturday!

He's not really a joker. So that's why I think he tried to clean it up and call it a joke. I just think whether its a joke or not, that's a poor choice of words, and it's sort of insensitive to me since I have a lot on my plate right now, especially with studying. I just don't know...

But I appreicate the persepctive...Still studying hard, but still feel kinda messed up. Maybe this will motivate me EVEN more to do better on the PCAT this coming weekend since it kinda hurt my feelings and pissed me off...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I am starting to have some doubts about the relationship. He had the nerve to end the conversation with, " I love you dearly". Yeah sure.
I think I will stop and take a shower and watch a movie. I did rent some movies yesterday, so maybe that will help me...

Thanks for the advice and being in my corner during this rough time. I hope I do well too!

If he's not a joker, and he knows that you're having a tough time (health issues, studying, volunteering and being uber busy), then I would seriously consider letting him go. If he's been with you for two years, he should know better and I agree he's being super insensitive. Not having to deal with him and his crap could be really liberating for you.

Regardless of what you decide to do about him, take a deep breath, go do something relaxing that you enjoy for a while, and take a little study break. Take a nice bath or something, or read a book, watch a movie. Remember to take short breaks while you're studying.

I can only imagine how stressed you are. Just know there are people out there who support you (even if you don't know them! lol) and wish the best for you. Relax, be efficient in your studying, don't burn out studying, and you'll rock the PCAT on Saturday!

It might be a good idea to tell him that you have an important test to study for on Saturday, and you don't want to talk to him until it's over....then after the PCAT is over, deal with it then.... as for dealing with it, I agree with Irish Oats....

p.s. Don't let people like this bring you down in life...years from now you might not even be with him, but you might think back regretting that you let someone like this mess up something so important in your life like taking the PCAT, which I'm sure you have worked very hard on so far...so, keep your head up, don't let BS like that upset you, and focus on what IS important in your life....right now at this moment, it's the PCAT...not dealing with an unsupportive bf that sounds like he should be dumped.

Stay focused and you will do well! (Once before when I was dealing with a similar situation, I just tried hard to block it out of my head, study study study, call friends when I started thinking about that nonsense, became happy again after talking to my friends, then more study...)

GOOD LUCK!!!! :)

p.s. Don't let people like this bring you down in life...years from now you might not even be with him, but you might think back regretting that you let someone like this mess up something so important in your life like taking the PCAT, which I'm sure you have worked very hard on so far...so, keep your head up, don't let BS like that upset you, and focus on what IS important in your life....right now at this moment, it's the PCAT...not dealing with an unsupportive bf that sounds like he should be dumped.

Completely seconding this.