Need advice: Temple or Tufts

Discussion in 'Dental' started by flat4, Dec 5, 2002.

1. flat4

flat4 Mullet Redesigner
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys,
    I know this isn't the pre-dent forum but I desperately need your help. I've recently recieved acceptances to Tufts and Temple, my top choices, and I'm completely stumped. Both programs offer everything I was looking for in a program. I liked the location of Tufts better than Temple but the tuition at Temple seemed more reasonable. Besides those differences, the school's seemed identical ("seemed" being the key word). I was also wondering about national recognition since I'm planning on coming back to Cali after school. What do you guys know or have heard about these schools? If you go to one of these schools, how do you like it there? What kind of reputation do these schools have in the real world? If you have any kind of information that might help me in making a decision, please enlighten me with your wisdom. I thank you very much for your time! :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nycdoc

nycdoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm a first year dental student.....here are the two most important deciding factors in my opinion.

1. Cost: Unless you're getting a free ride, this is probably the most important consideration. You'll probably spend twice as much on living expenses in Boston than in Philly. If you're taking out loans, remember that the interest will add up to some crazy amount. It makes good sense to go to a cheaper school to get the same education.
    Tufts probably has the upper hand on research, reputation and ranking (I've found that 'school ranking' is all word of mouth and personal opinion anyways....don't let that sway you away from a school.) Temple is known as a solid clinical school. All that matters is that you pass the California boards and you're home free. Both schools will give you the adequate tools to prepare for the boards. 99.999% of your patients won't care where you went to as long as you're competent and not a dick. Your job opportunities will be plentiful and I don't see any significant advantage in going to one school over the other.
    2. Peace of mind: Go where you'll be happy! I cannot stress the following enough: During your interview, did the students seem happy and optimistic? Ask the students at the school if the professors are friendly and helpful or if they have sticks up their asses. Ask the students about their mental health. Dental school is tough but it can be (dare I say) enjoyable in the right environment.Ask if the school has a note transcription service and a test bank (this is SO important) . Ask the seniors if they think they feel confident with their clinical skills. You'll want to maximize these advantages.......dental school is so much work that the last thing you want to deal with is the stress of dealing with a disorganized system or an environment that will interfere with learning and getting the most out of school.
    hope that helps....good luck.

4. flat4

flat4 Mullet Redesigner
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the insight. I'm actually in Boston right now trying to get a second opinion and I'll be heading to Philly tommorow. From what I remember from my interviews, students, from both schools, were upbeat about their schools and their professors although Temple students seemed genuinely happy and more confident about their skills. I actually ran into a random student at Tufts and I asked him about the school and he told me not to go there (I think he was joking but I'm not sure). Both schools seem to want to help you rather than weed you out. Both schools have some sort of note/test bank system. If both school's are going to offer me the same things, I guess its better to go with the cheaper cost. Does anybody think otherwise? Also, if I want to specialize, which school am I better off going to? God, why does this have to be so hard :rolleyes: