Need Advice... Thinking about changing careers and going to Medical School.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SolZer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings. I'm hoping to get some wise advice about this field of medicine or any advice that may pertain to my situation.

I'm currently 28 years old and have spent the past 5-6 years working in the computer industry as a Systems Engineer for a Software company. I am about a year away from my BS/CIS degree. For many years I have been interested in health and medicine, but I found myself in the Computer field and it paid the bills for a while. Now I just can't stand it and I need to do what makes me happy no matter the cost.

I don't know a great deal about the differences between MD .vs DO, but from what I have read it seems like DO's have a more holistic approach to medicine, which really appeals to me.

So, anyone in a similiar situation? Any other 28 year olds just getting started? I could use a little advice or encouragement since this will be a HUGE change in life for me and my family (wife and 2 kids).

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Neil

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, SolZer, I've been here for a while, and I can say that I've seen many people in your situation that managed to get to medical school, or are still getting ready to go. Having a family would make it harder, but if your wife and kids support you, then I say go for it! If you're not happy with what you do and want to do something else, then I say that you should switch!

By the way, 28 isn't too old compared to what I've seen. There have been 43 year olds applying...

Try going to the Spouses and Partners forum for advice on getting support from your wife and kids.

Good luck!

You wouldn't believe how many people are attending OSU-COM that are married with kids. Im 30 myself (single, tho :cool: ) and there are plenty of people in their late 20's, early 30's that are first year med students. If you already have a degree then all you would need to do is take the core science classes that will help you with the MCAT. Depending on how science literate you are that could take up to about 2 years. If you've had some science background already, maybe a year. If you don't have a degree, finish up the degree while taking science classes at the same time.

DO schools tend to look faborably on people who have had former careers because that means life experience. Believe me, you age is not a handicap by any means. That's not to say that MD schools don't do the same. Many do, but since my application experiences have been with DO schools only, I don't know much about exactly what MD schools look for.

As far as the differences, basically DO's are taught to have a more holistic approach to medicine. They are taught everything the MD's are taught, plus additional training in osteopathic manipulation. Also, DO's have a tendency to become primary care physicians (internal medicine, family medicine, peds, etc). However there are plenty of opportunities to specialize as a DO.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Fenrezz
Im 30 myself (single, tho :cool: )

Single! I can't believe it!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ouch -- I sense some sarcasm with those rolly eyes...

I'm shocked -- especially with that 4' tongue in the picture...

:hardy:

Originally posted by Forensic Chick

Fenrezz spends a little too much time manipulating his pictures!! :rolleyes:

SolZer--I agree with Fenrezz. I am one of his 30-something classmates with a husband a kiddo. As far as my advice...be sure that your wife is supportive. Med school takes over a big portion of your life, so it won't work well if she's not behind you 100%. This is quite do-able, though. I make a point to spend time with my family each day, and I don't really study until after the kiddo is in bed. Of course, that means that I'm up pretty late studying (and posting on SDN ;) ) , but my family comes first. Also, try to find a family-friendly school...ask the admissions office about the stats of their students (% married, % with kids, etc) to get some idea of the environment.

Good luck! and definitely check out the DO schools :clap:

Don't count out MD schools either. I am a "second career" 30 something MS 1 and we have PLENTY of students in my class that are older than me (I know a 45 year old and several students in their 30s).

Originally posted by Forensic Chick

Actually it's closer to 6 inches. But who's counting?

:D

You should check out OldPreMeds.net .

There are a lot of people there in the same situation as you with a lot of advice to offer.

i think my class age average was 27 for our freshmen year (i'm an MS II). So best of luck!

As a 30 year old with a husband and a kid, in my 2nd year of med school and a former carrer behind me, I'd like to say you can totally do it. Our school is very family friendly (one of our classmates had a baby LAST WEEK and is bringing her to class - she sits in the back of the room and nurses). The spouse does need to be supportive, though. We've had 2 divorces already.

Good luck.
Kristin
AZCOM2005

Thank you all for the responses. I'm feeling pretty good about this and I have heard several great things about AZCOM. It would be great if I ended up being accepted there since I already live in Phoenix. Until then, time to get these prereq's finished.

Thanks.