need advice to apply for less competitive residency in family medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sapphire1416

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a FMG from lebanon and i like to do family medicine residency.
however ,i did not do well on step 1 (78) and i passed trhe CSA and i'll try to do better on step 2.
i was family med resident in my country before i came to USA since one year and since then i've been in clinical research.
i would like to get the feedback opinions and advices from you.please
thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest that you apply to the Wesley Family Practice Program or the Via Christi program in Wichita, Kansas. They have good, solid programs in Family medicine. There are also many lebanese residents in various specialties. Also, it's not the most competitive program. But the residents and the attendings are VERY nice and you will get tons of exposure to OB/peds, medicine, everything.

Hello, do you have US greencard or citizenship? If you do, it will be easy. If you do not, you will have to apply for H1-B or J-1 Visa. Both are very difficult.

It would also be beneficial to get clinical experience in the U.S. before applying. I don't think the are many "competitive" F.P. programs. Look for the programs that are willing to at least give a foreign graduate a chance. Good Luck