Need Advice: To attend interview or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meat Gyver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disregard what I said. I decided to attend the interview and it was the best experience I've had out of all the schools I interviewed at!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

Firstly, congrats to everyone who heard back from schools and received offers!

I'm in a predicament and would love to hear your opinions:

I had 2 pre-dec interviews from UIC and SIU, and unfortunately I didn't hear any news from them (still list me as "invited for interview" on AADSAS).

I have a post-dec interview at UPenn (which I am grateful for), but I'm having second thoughts on whether I should attend or not. I know it sounds like a no-brainer to attend considering the situation I am in and how great of a school Penn is. However I've began to think more about cost to attend dental school (something I immaturely disregarded when I applied) - I have to fund my own education.

With travel + hotel I'm looking at around a $500 trip - a big blow for my wallet... but I don't mind if the reward is worth it. I know nothing is a certainty (especially after today), but assuming I get in, would it be worth it to go?

Situations:

1) I don't attend and I don't get into UIC and SIU - I have to re-apply and wait 1 year.
2) I do attend (and assuming I get in) and I don't get into UIC and SIU - I am in serious debt.

Which would you pick?

The debate really comes down to whether or not you would be willing to pay for UPenn vs. potentially waiting it out another year for your state schools. That's up to whatever you think is most important. (Personally I would go to the interview just in case, and then decide from there).

assuming I get in, would it be worth it to go

That's the problem. You can't really assume that you'll get in. Maybe you'll get good news something tomorrow or wednesday at the latest, but maybe you are on the wait list or even rejected.

I would go over to the school specific threads and see if other people have gotten into those two schools. If yes, then you probably will not hear anything soon, and you should definitely attend any future invites that you get. Most likely scenario is that you've been waitlisted by both. Sure, you have a chance of getting off the waitlist, but if you interview at UPenn your chances go up by 50%.

I'd take situation 2 any day. Sure you can reapply to your state schools next year to save on tuition, but what if you don't get in AGAIN ?? Apply for a 3rd time? Think about the lost salary that you otherwise would have made. Most people apply to 5+, sometimes 10+ schools. I applied to 19 to get 3 acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me it's a no brainer, assuming you've got the cash to travel to Philly. The opportunity cost of waiting a year, not for a guaranteed acceptance but for the chance at another shot at your state school, is enormous.

Right now, you have zero acceptance. You are zero percent dentist. I would apply to HPSP, right now at this minute. With HPSP, any school will do.

The debate really comes down to whether or not you would be willing to pay for UPenn vs. potentially waiting it out another year for your state schools. That's up to whatever you think is most important. (Personally I would go to the interview just in case, and then decide from there).
That's the problem. You can't really assume that you'll get in. Maybe you'll get good news something tomorrow or wednesday at the latest, but maybe you are on the wait list or even rejected.

I would go over to the school specific threads and see if other people have gotten into those two schools. If yes, then you probably will not hear anything soon, and you should definitely attend any future invites that you get. Most likely scenario is that you've been waitlisted by both. Sure, you have a chance of getting off the waitlist, but if you interview at UPenn your chances go up by 50%.

I'd take situation 2 any day. Sure you can reapply to your state schools next year to save on tuition, but what if you don't get in AGAIN ?? Apply for a 3rd time? Think about the lost salary that you otherwise would have made. Most people apply to 5+, sometimes 10+ schools. I applied to 19 to get 3 acceptances.
To me it's a no brainer, assuming you've got the cash to travel to Philly. The opportunity cost of waiting a year, not for a guaranteed acceptance but for the chance at another shot at your state school, is enormous.

Thanks for the wisdom everyone - I guess I should be more opening minded and put everything in perspective better. I can just work more hours to cover travel expenses (and Philly cheese steak costs). Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user
and Philly cheese steak costs

Make sure you bring cash ! All those famous philly cheese steak joints you hear about on the food channel don't take credit cards for some reason :(