1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice Try to Raise my GPA or Do a SMP?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by IWant2BeADoctor, Feb 28, 2007.

1. IWant2BeADoctor

IWant2BeADoctor License to Matriculate
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have a 2.5 GPA. But that's only taking into account I had to retake 2 math classes after getting F's in them. I'm a Junior with 60 credits. It takes 120 to graduate in my school. I changed majors recently from History to BS in Psychology. I had no interest in History and really didn't try hard in the courses. Now that I want to become a Doctor that is coming back to haunt me. I need 75 credits including Pre-med reqs to graduate.

Do they count lower math courses. I mean before Pre-calc. In factoring your Science GPA. I failed Intermediate course in Alegbra but than retook it and got a B. I also got a B in Bio 100 and 100L. I also got an F in Precal because it was a class my parents forced me to take in the Summer and well I just didn't show up to class.:(

What should I do? Considering I failed 2 courses my AAMC is only going o be 2.25 tops and even if I got straight A's from now on out I'm only going to be able to raise my GPA to 3.4ish. Should I consider a SMP instead?

Do SMP require that you take all the pre-med Requirements. If I don't I can graduate 1 semester earlier. Though if I have to finish my pre-med reqs I would stay the extra semester. I'm not sure of whether I should try to boost my GPA or just go for an SMP at Georgetown.

Also I don't have any Clinical/Research experience as of now. Should I get it now or later?
    In regards to the Research experience does it have to be in the Sciences? Could Psychology research suffice?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I can't tell if you are sincere or are just very bad at the sarcasm game. Assuming you are sincere: First, for the better SMP programs you need a 3.0 to get in anyhow. So your first step will be to figure out what you are doing wrong and try to bring your GPA up to that level. I would probably stay away from the prereqs for now and spend some time taking classes you enjoy and think you can do well at. Once you have a semester or two with satisfactory grades, you can add a prereq into the mix. Or maybe save them all to do in an informal postbac after you are done with undergrad. Take them at a pace where you will have the time you need to spend to get the A's. You will want to work in some clinical experience and research later, but get a few A's under your belt first. Bottom line is that you can probably repair your chances at med school but it will likely take many years. There are people who have done it though.

4. nutster

nutster Rarrr!
    5+ Year Member

As already mentioned, your current GPA will likely not allow you acceptance into any reputable SMP programs. I would suggest taking a look at the following forum if you are truly interested in the PostBac/SMP options. braluk has stickied a thread in the forum that may be of interest.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71

5. IWant2BeADoctor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How do SMP's count repeated courses in GPA calculation? If they count repeated courses without taking account the prior grade I could have a shot a a 3.5-3.7 GPA if I got majority A's or straight A's from now on.

6. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That's irrelevant if your undergrad GPA is too low for the AMCAS.

7. IWant2BeADoctor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What would too low be? Given that you are accepted into a reputable SMP program like G-town.