Need advice: UCLA v. Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliBoy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have received many PMs from people in the last couple of days which have gone unanswered, mostly because I kind of disappeared from the face of the earth since I found out I got into Hopkins. I flew to Baltimore and checked out the school and city again, and still don't know whether I should drop UCLA for Hopkins. I feel very fortunate to even have this decision to make, but it is a very difficult one for many reasons. I have very little time left to make my final decision, and I would really appreciate anyone's comments or advice.

Some of my thoughts are:

Reasons to go to Hopkins: Superb reputation/clinical exposure. Opens doors to prestigious post-graduate placements. First time to live somewhere other than California. Study under the best doctors in the world.

Reasons to go to UCLA: For me, it will cost approx. 100K less than Hopkins. I'm not interested in going into academic or international medicine, so is Hopkins necessary? Don't like Baltimore or surroundings. I like UCLA (currently work there) and am comfortable there. I love So Cal. Friends and S.O. in Los Angeles.

I know that many of you will be biased toward one school or the other for one reason or the other, but that's ok--I'd like to know why. I'd appreciate any input!!! Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd pick UCLA. You mention many personal reasons for staying in LA and you also mention how you dislike Baltimore. The tuition alone would be reason enough for you to stay in LA. And who says you can't land the same prestigious residency spots if you go to UCLA instead of Hopkins? Don't get me wrong, Hopkins is a great school, but you sound like a sincere guy who's not hung up on prestige and just want to practice medicine... go to UCLA.

You already answered your question dude :)

Take a step back and look at those factors you put down.

The main thing for JHU is: Get out of California + prestige

Well, by your name getting out of California might not be what you want to do. ;)

Prestige can take you only so far...but is it worth the extra 100K? I doubt it. You love LA, you hate Baltimore. You have family in LA, you don't on East Coast. Cheaper versus expensive.

I'd try calling up hopkins one more time and tell them if they lessened your tuition by 10K a year, you will go there..if not, **** em!

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would choose Hopkins. But then, I like the East Coast and my family lives here. Plus, it's Hopkins.

This is a personal decision and one that you have to make. And judging by your post, I would say that you have already made it. UCLA seems to be the clear choice for you.

Good luck with your decision, and congratulations.

i way to go caliboy!!

t is obvious where you should go. take hopkins offer as a compliment and great achievement. you'll be the guy at ucla who turned down hopkins. ;)

i think having friends, family, comfort, etc..are all very important. and we know about the cost of a uc medical school education. not too shabby. ucla rocks, it is a great program..

i went to a prestigious grad school basically just for the name and really regret it. go where your heart tells you to go.

As a member of the UCLA waitlist, I urge you to go to Hopskins.

hopkins baby. arguably the best med school in the country. time to make the move.

caliboy congrats , i wish i were in your shoes.

it sounds like you are happy in cali and would be happier in la than anyplace else. the thing is you are in love with s. cali. that you maybe have expereinced other places, and hopkins would def give u something new. like another poster said that you could be the person at ucla that turned down hopkins, but then again you dont want to say throughout med school oh i couldve gone to hopkins and regret not going (i know its obvious what i just said). i mean it is john hopkins! it is probably the best medical school in the entire world. kids (and their parents) dream of one day going to hopkins, and now you have this opportunity to go. ucla is one of the top schools in the nation too, so it makes it that much more difficult. but you do sound happy in cali, and happiness will always outweigh prestige (and price).

hopefully lavin can get a championship for the bruins ;). who knows maybe you could get a ncaa ring if you interned with the bball team!
hope i helped a little, good luck and congrats
:clap: :clap: