Mar 12, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I am in the midst of studying for this beast and have a month and half left to go.

I am currently using Kaplan and have completed 384 questions and have 73% right. All were done in tutor mode though.

I also have UWorld. I am not sure when exactly to switch. My plan was to use Kaplan for the first run through of Taus @ 50Q/day but I am realizing that 48Q take about 3 hours with annotations.

Should I just ditch qbank and if I have time left at the end go back to it? I feel like some of the questions are good, but some of them are just ridiculous.

anyone use both? or try to use both? when did you switch...after first run through? i have World 3 month subscription and I have not used it yet so i will have at least 1.5 months going to waste even if i start it now.

Mar 12, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I guess we have the same plan kind of but backwards. how long have you been studying for?

PistolPete

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I plan on going through all of Kaplan Qbank first, as I'm still reviewing things from First Aid (and getting a lot of questions wrong on Kaplan). This will serve as the "learning phase." Starting in April, I will start doing UWorld, but only after I've gone through all of First Aid and a good chunk of Kaplan so that I don't end up "wasting" the good Uworld Questions.

Cooolguy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
Status
go with uworld all the way, the kaplan bank sucks

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I wouldn't say the Kaplan Qbank sucks persay...but I feel like Kaplan Qbank may be better for studying during the school year and less high yield during board review time. However, if time permits, I definitely think doing both is a great option. I did Kaplan Qbank during the year and it really helped for classes.

If you don't have time for both...I'd def ditch Kaplan and do UW. I like the questions in UW so much more and they tend to be less nitpicky with the minutiae as opposed to Kaplan.