Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celtics-42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my Fall semester of my 2nd year, finishing with a 3.1 cpga. I wanted to know if I could still be a competitive applicant for medical school and what would the gpa standard I should meet?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can still be competitive. Try and pull that GPA up to a 3.4+ over the next couple years. If you are able to start getting lot of As then your will have an upward trend, which is great. You may be better off applying after your senior year so that you have an extra year of grades to include in the GPA calculation...this means taking a gap year between undergrad and medical school. If your ECs are up to par and you can get a 29-31 on the MCAT you should be alright for DO programs with a 3.2-3.3. If you are aiming MD, you should try and get a 33+ on the MCAT to make up for a lower GPA while seriously working toward a 3.5.

Yes, you can still be competitive. Try and pull that GPA up to a 3.4+ over the next couple years. If you are able to start getting lot of As then your will have an upward trend, which is great. You may be better off applying after your senior year so that you have an extra year of grades to include in the GPA calculation...this means taking a gap year between undergrad and medical school. If your ECs are up to par and you can get a 29-31 on the MCAT you should be alright for DO programs with a 3.2-3.3. If you are aiming MD, you should try and get a 33+ on the MCAT to make up for a lower GPA while seriously working toward a 3.5.
All of this is beautiful advice. Just don't forget about your extracurricular activities!! Good luck!