1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

need advice...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by drwannabe44, Jul 19, 2006.

1. drwannabe44

drwannabe44 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Okay ...so i have been planning to retake the mcat and have been studying...but i called the doadmissions for mcw and wanted to know how i could strengthen my application this time around (im a reapplicant) and i was told not to retake the mcat and that i should just apply early. I am currently on the wlist. This means if i retake it in august then i ll be late (my app will be complete in oct--which is v. late). Knowing that my mcat is pretty bad ( i still dont understand why the doadmissions told me not to retake it), this also means if i don't retake the mcat then i prob will have a hard chance getting into other med schools. What would you do in my position retake it or dont retake it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ParvatiP

ParvatiP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, what is your MCAT score? Seeing as it's almost August are you going to have time to study for it because if not, then it's definitely not worth taking if you are hardly going to improve.
    If your score is 27+ then it's not necessary to retake (unless you are prepared). If you are below 27, then I would retake.

4. Oculus Sinistra

Oculus Sinistra Finish it.
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Can't you submit your app super early, take the August MCAT, and just update them with the new scores when they come in?

5. drwannabe44

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

dont think so..

6. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes... You can. However you do risk being rejected early on if your original score is very low.

7. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    from what i've heard, applying early gives you a big advantage at mcw. if this is where you're most interested in going, id say apply asap (really easy secondary) and then update with august scores if you retake...

from practice tests, does it seem like mcat improvement is likely?

8. Oculus Sinistra

Oculus Sinistra Finish it.
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Right, but the risk is lower considering they told the OP to reapply without retaking...

9. drwannabe44

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    But if i retake don't i have to tell them that im retaking it...and then my file won't be complete until oct

doesn't it look bad that i retake the mcat without telling them?

10. sistahnik

sistahnik Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    You should def put your reapp in early and if you are going to retake, then check the box to inform them. I think that if they told you not to retake then I would try to find out some more information from them regarding this advice. When you submit, the only thing they will be waiting for is your new mcat scores. Why would you not submit early anyway? The scores shouldn't stop that part of the process. Best wishes! ;)

11. Dov

Dov Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    this is what i would do... they're not going to not take your new MCAT scores

12. drwannabe44

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    thanks for the advice you guys...see the director told me that my VR score is high and if i get a score lower than that then i prob won't be favorably reviewed (when i take practice tests sometimes i get a VR score at that level and sometimes i get a point or two below it..im not consistent)...i already turned in my secondary application and checked no on my amcas about retakin it...( my application was complete on june 30 and they begin reviewing them in august) if the director of admissions told me not to retake it then shouldn't i be fine in terms of mcat. can he reject me on the basis of my mcat even though he told me not to retake it??!!

13. drwannabe44

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I think this is a good idea...but will the school know i retook the mcat without me telling them??..does amcas notify the schools that i have taken the aug mcat and that they should wait for the scores?

14. docmode

docmode Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What is your MCAT score, without that it is tough to give advice.

15. drwannabe44

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    8 Vr 9 PS 8 BS

i need to retake...but don't want to forfeit my chances of applying early to mcw

16. ParvatiP

ParvatiP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    With such a low MCAT score I would wait, especially if you think you can significantly improve. The problem with applying early with your current scores is that you may be screened out and rejected before you are able to submit your new scores. Once you are rejected, it doesn't matter how you did. So, I would wait. You can still submit AMCAS and fill out your secondaries but indicate for schools to wait for your August scores. I think you'll have a better shot with a decent MCAT (maybe 30) applying late.
    The thing is, I don't know if I would count on what the dean told you about your app, because a 25 is pretty low (below avg. matriculant score) and most people would recommend to retake. Well, that's my $0.02 anyway! Good luck!

17. drwannabe44

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    sometimes i wish the mcat didn't exist..why couldn't gpa and ec be enough, cuz i m good with that maybe thats why my mcat is low ....i focused on other things..oh well ...thanks for your advice

18. selkie14

selkie14 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I was in a similar situation (on waitlists, MCAT score the lowest point of my application, and reapplying in 07), and was told by schools to go ahead and take the MCAT but that they would need a signed statement from me allowing them to go ahead and consider my application without my new scores. There's a chance that you may get rejected outright with this strategy before your scores ever come in; however, if you were in the position that you got interviews last year, bear in mind that there's hardly any chance that you'd be done interviewing before your MCAT scores got in, so the last time they look at your file it will be complete. Follow it up with your schools and see what their policy is; I imagine most are going to try to give you the best chance possible, and they'd like to see what you can do this time around.