tylerh87

Working Hard
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2008
Southeast
Status
Medical Student
OK-took MCAT 4/18/08-score: 20P. Not happy. Taking again: 07/08/08. Combination of nerves/lack of preparation led to low score. AMCAS and AACOMAS already almost all the way filled out. Do I submit June 4 when they open? Or do I wait for the new scores to get here (August 10)? Thanks for the help. DO or MD will suffice for me.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
OK-took MCAT 4/18/08-score: 20P. Not happy. Taking again: 07/08/08. Combination of nerves/lack of preparation led to low score. AMCAS and AACOMAS already almost all the way filled out. Do I submit June 4 when they open? Or do I wait for the new scores to get here (August 10)? Thanks for the help. DO or MD will suffice for me.

Submit the apps to 1 school each, then designate additional schools if the scores come back in your favor. The apps can process and get verified while you're waiting on your scores, but you only have to pay for the 1 school. You can check a box indicating you are waiting for more MCAT scores, they won't look at your app until those come in, but you won't be in the back of the line waiting for your app to be processed.

You'll need a pretty good score bump to be competitive. If the come back low 20's, it would probably be a money-saver to not designate any additional schools and spend the year building your app for next year (prep-class for the MCAT, continue to improve your EC's, etc).

Good luck.

IceMan0824

Holy crip, he's a crapple
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Submit the apps to 1 school each, then designate additional schools if the scores come back in your favor. The apps can process and get verified while you're waiting on your scores, but you only have to pay for the 1 school. You can check a box indicating you are waiting for more MCAT scores, they won't look at your app until those come in, but you won't be in the back of the line waiting for your app to be processed.

You'll need a pretty good score bump to be competitive. If the come back low 20's, it would probably be a money-saver to not designate any additional schools and spend the year building your app for next year (prep-class for the MCAT, continue to improve your EC's, etc).

Good luck.
Spoken like a wise anti-seizure drug.

OP
T

tylerh87

Working Hard
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2008
Southeast
Status
Medical Student
should i apply to a school im not interested in on each of them? or what? i went in to the whole thing not prepared like I should have been. I have a 3.94 GPA and know I can do much better than that, I just wasn't ready. I plan to study 5-6 hours a day until the test, and hopefully I will be ready. I am just lookin for advice here, and thanks so much for it.

Depakote

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
should i apply to a school im not interested in on each of them? or what? i went in to the whole thing not prepared like I should have been. I have a 3.94 GPA and know I can do much better than that, I just wasn't ready. I plan to study 5-6 hours a day until the test, and hopefully I will be ready. I am just lookin for advice here, and thanks so much for it.
Are you working? If you're free this summer, you need to study like it's your job. If you're working, I guess 5-6 hours is going to be the best you can do, if you can take a week or two off before the test, that would be perfect and give you time to focus. Be sure to take as many practice tests as you can get your hands on.

As for where to apply, tough call. I wouldn't waste money applying somewhere you wouldn't attend. Try looking at the schools and seeing how they view re-applicants. The premise on bagging this app and trying again next year is that you'll improve your application, so either way you should be ok applying to those schools.

OP
T

tylerh87

Working Hard
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2008
Southeast
Status
Medical Student
Regardless of what happens-I won't "bag" this app and reapply. There are more ways than the traditional way of entering medical school, and I will utilize those. Just need to know what to do to get my application in when I can.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If I were you, I'd use that first app at a school you're only moderately interested in. That way, if they reject you outright, it's not a huge deal. Also, make sure you call them and inform them you're retaking the MCAT. They'll probably hold on until your new scores are in. Speaking of which, why are you waiting 3 months to take the test again?

aaj117

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2007
NYC
Status
Medical Student
depakote's advice was really good. I would apply to the two schools that you think you have the best shot at getting into-- maybe an instate school with low average stats, or a school you have a connection to.

OP
T

tylerh87

Working Hard
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2008
Southeast
Status
Medical Student
I am not waiting 3 months-im taking it July 10, 2008. That was the first available date I could get. Plus it gives me time to prep.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah...my reading comprehension is crap today, I guess. Doesn't that make all of you who've sent me your personal statements feel good?

Depakote

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
Regardless of what happens-I won't "bag" this app and reapply. There are more ways than the traditional way of entering medical school, and I will utilize those. Just need to know what to do to get my application in when I can.
I'm not sure what alternate routes you have at your disposal, but good luck. A ~9-10 point bump to be competitive is not easily pulled off.

Study hard!:luck:

russellfx

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
whats the average mcat scores for caribean medical schools?

OP
T

tylerh87

Working Hard
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2008
Southeast
Status
Medical Student
I am from Alabama, and am from a rural area. I am eligible for the rural pipeline programs that they offer to send students to DO as well as MD schools. How much do I need to raise my score to be even considered at a DO school? That option appeals to me as well. All I know is: I want to get in this year.

Depakote

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
I am from Alabama, and am from a rural area. I am eligible for the rural pipeline programs that they offer to send students to DO as well as MD schools. How much do I need to raise my score to be even considered at a DO school? That option appeals to me as well. All I know is: I want to get in this year.
I'd say a min of 5 points. You might find some that will take you with less...