Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rdhdstpkd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
At a party over christmas holidays I met a professor at a school of medicine to which I'm applying. I asked him for advice on my plans to enter medcine and whether he would do it all over again, etc. Eventually we got around to talking about the fact that I was in the middle of the application process, about the research I'd been doing, and just generally talking about my odds as a candidate. He suggested that I'd have better luck applying to MSTP and getting a doctorate in epi. I all ready have my MPH in epi and biostat. He put me in contact with the dean of the school of public health so we could discuss the program and talk about my options. The dean seemed interested in my application and requested that I call the admissions office and have my app switched from MD to MSTP. The admissions office couldn't answer my questions regarding the switch, and requested an email detailing the situation. I just received an email from the head of the MSTP program telling me how to switch my application over.

Doesn't it seem a little late to be switching an application over to another program? If I do switch won't it affect the dozen applications I still have out? I'm not sure whether this is a great opportunity, or if I'd be shooting myself in the foot. Any advice?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

keep in mind that many schools w/ MSTP programs allow 2nd year medical students to apply to it. so, you don't really have to switch NOW. it won't be the be all end all of your chance for MSTP.

even if you have better odds at getting in as an MSTP applicant, do you WANT to get a doctorate in epi? that is the question you should be asking yourself....or maybe you already have, i don't know. i certainly would not want to get a doctorate in epi even though i already have an ms in epi.
it does seem late to make the switch, but i don't see why switching 1 application would affect your other apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was unsure if switching the one app would change them all because of the section on the AMCAS where you choose MD or MS/PhD.

I am definitely interested in a doctorate in epi, I was just unaware that it was an option. I associate most MSTP programs with bench work- something I'm not really interested in. Most of the physicians I work for ended up going for their DrPH after they finished med school. I wouldn't mind getting it done all at once. Having the PhD would allow me to further my research career as I go.

Thanks for the inupt.

in order to change to MSTP at the one school do you have to go through AMCAS? i thought on AMCAS you select whether or not you want to do MD/MSTP separately for each school, right? if that is the case, i don't see why it would affect the other schools.

you can get a DrPH in epi doing the MSTP? i had no idea. i thought you might be able to go the PhD route but am surprised you can do DrPH. i almost went for my DrPH but have decided to get an MD instead.

changing to MSTP for one school has no effect on the others.
in fact its something that that particular school has to do. while they school might tell you you need to take it up with AMCAS.... AMCAS is going to send you right back to the school. it happened with a school I applied MD only too and then decided to change to MSTP. I ran around in circles for a little bit, but it worked out.
if i were you, I would definately take up the chance to do the MD/PhD. keep in mind this is one school out of many, and ultimately you dont have to choose it, its just nice to have an array of options.