Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaredoflife

Eaaagglleee
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so retaking the MCAT, what would be the best month next spring to retake it? I am taking a full load of classes (12-15 credits) in spring. I am also working 12 hrs. Just wondering what is a good month to take it in spring. I was thinking MAY. Please help? If you have had the same issue when did you take it and what was your study schedule like? Thank you a lot.

Scaredoflife :)

Members don't see this ad.

Considering you're retaking, I would not advice you to take the MCAT with a full class load and work. You must do everything you can to ensure you do better and you probably cannot do so with that amount of work. You should look into taking the MCAT in the summer so you can give it your full attention. Do NOT feel pressured by application timing. Take the MCAT and get a good score before you even think about application timing. Another bad score will definitely not help you even if you're in the first round of applicants. Lastly, do NOT retake unless your practice scores are significantly higher. Keep in mind that if you retake a practice test, your results are have very little predictive power.

I agree with SN2ed. Retakes should only be when you have a good chance of doing higher and with a full course load + work, it'll be hard, even if you have until spring, but that's just my opinion. ( I took a whole summer off and only studied mcats). Also, very likely is if you do mcats with your whole schedule, your GPA may drop, so that would not be good...

Thank you for the advice, what if I studied a tid bit of MCAT during school and focused on the MCAT during summer and took it around June? I mean I am going to give it my all this time around. Also should I go ahead and buy those AAMC tests I mean I already went through them the first time, probably don't remember much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going to be taking courses between now and then that will actually help you on the MCAT? If you are, and you feel fully confident in your ability, then go for it. If not, wait for the summer.

As for May, make sure that you are not going to be interfered with by finals. I took my MCAT right after my hardest final, needless to say I was pretty brain drained when I took the test, and would not recommend doing it in such a state.

You take the real test when you are getting a few points higher than your desired score on practice tests. Dont rush it. As said, waiting a few weeks wont hurt your application. But a few MCAT points will.

Thank you for the advice, what if I studied a tid bit of MCAT during school and focused on the MCAT during summer and took it around June? I mean I am going to give it my all this time around. Also should I go ahead and buy those AAMC tests I mean I already went through them the first time, probably don't remember much.

This could potentially work out fine. I think the best way to do right now is to think back and reflect on what you think you could've done the first time around. Do you think you need more practice? Is your content background solid enough that you can go straight to practice problems and exams without doing too much heavy review?

Bozz posted a thread which you might find helpful. Basically the second time around, he focused on practice passages/questions and he was able to jump 7 or 8 points by studying for about a couple months, 1-2 hours/day. If that study plan suits your needs then you can certainly balance a full workload + MCAT studying. He explains it in more detail here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=499207

The AAMC exams are still your best bet when it comes to practice tests. The only thing I'm quite concerned off is the fact that you've already taken them, worked over the solutions, etc... might weaken the predicting power of these exams. Nevertheless, I would still advise to work on them since it's the closest thing you've got to the real thing. Just make sure to get your hands on other practice exams that you haven't seen before.