Need Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwmccoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need some advice about how to study for the mcat. First ill start with my background info. I have taken the test twice already. The first time i used Kaplan material with the prep course from february to may and then took it May 21st 2011. I used almost all of the Kaplan practice tests and a few AAMC ones. I ended up getting a 25N. I went through with the application process and got two interviews and was waitlisted at one place, but no acceptances. Then I studied from may 2012 and took it again on July 26th 2012. I used the Berkley review books for content review, the Examkrackers and Princeton review hyperlearning for verbal, and the AAMC tests i hadnt done. That was about 5-6 total practice tests. I felt pretty going into the test at the point i had averaged about a 28 on my practice tests, but i ended up with a 24M (damn verbal). So im at the point now where i feel like i will have to take it again. What would your guy's advice be? Which material and practice tests are there left for me to use?

Members don't see this ad.

Couple of questions first. What were your score break downs for each exam? How many hours a day did you spend studying? Did you primarily focus on content review, passage practice, or a mix of both? Did you review every question for each practice passage and exam that you did, regardless of whether or not you got the answer correct? And were you trying to juggle a heavy school/workload with it? GPA? (Basically, more specifics on what you did to help gear advice). A mid-20s score can indicate weakness in content knowledge or too little passage practice/review.

Also, are you aiming for MD or DO schools and what is your target score?

First MCAT: 25N PS 7 VR 9 BS 9
Second MCAT: 24M PS 8 VR 6! BS 10

For my first time studying i understand my low score. I was taking a hard course load and going to the Kaplan class. So my studying outside of that was limited.

The second time i felt like my preparation was much better. I spent my time following the SN2ed 3 month study schedule. I think i got a little complacent with my studying toward the end. My practice test averages went up steadily to a 30, but closer to the test i saw a small dip where 27 was my lowest one. I know that this next time i can be more efficient about reviewing the practice tests and practice passages.

I'm of the personal opinion that SN2ed's schedule is gold, so I'd personally stick with it. To see that much of a point difference between your practice and actual exam is indicative of test anxiety or burn out to me. Were you able to focus throughout the test? Also, you mentioned being more efficient in reviewing this round, so I'm guessing you didn't review thoroughly the first time. That's crucial, so definitely do it this time.