Need Advices, 4.0 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, 33 MCAT, NW Feinberg possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappiSquirrel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Regardless of your stats, anyone's chances of getting into a specific med school are not good. Many qualified applicants will be passed over. That isn't to say you have no chance. Quite the opposite. But hoping for a specific school at this point will lead to disappointment >90% of the time. You are competitive for MD schools. Apply broadly and hope NW likes you.

Edit: With no volunteer work or shadowing you will run into bigger issues. You should really start addressing that ASAP. You need to show you know what you are getting into and that you want to work with patients. No other way to do that than to actually work with patients.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for your reply, I can definitely see the logic behind this, i will keep my expectations low at this point. I will start shadowing soon. I do have one more question about LORs, how many LORs should you prepare to present a overall competitive application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quality>>>>Quantity. You should have 3 minimum. Probably 2 science and 1 non-science. That is all I have and I have been quite successful. I don't think a lot of letters necessarily add a lot to your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Your MCAT score is 3 points below the median for NW (check MSAR Online). You're in striking distance, but I think it's best to aim lower.

I really would like some advices on how to get into a school like Northwestern Feinberg, it has been my dream school ever since high school, I was denied acceptance to NW undergrad. But i want to remake my case. the avg NW med student has a 35, and 3.9 GPA. i know im below average, but i would like to fight for this!

You'll be fine for the IU system, for one.
I go to a big state school in Indiana, Im a junior, who is applying next June. I have done research for the past two summer, mid authored one paper thanks to my amazing PI.

This is a problem. You're going to need some! Getting this in at the last minute doesn't look well either. It smells more of "I was getting my high GPA and doing research" than "I came to Medicine late". You need to demonstrate that you know what you're getting into and that you wan to be around sick people for the next 30-40 years, plus that you know what a doctor's day is like.

No shadowing, No volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
@claduva94 i absolutely agree, im only asking those mentors who i think enjoyed my work and personality. i have not taken any humanity courses at undergrad yet, so getting a non science LOR is actually a bit harder for me but i will keep trying (College dean, pre med advisory., etc)

@Goro it is such an honor for you to comment on my post, i have seen your advices to others before, and it is most definitely high quality. I do not intend to stay in Indiana because 1) im not eligible for in-state tuition for grad school, and 2)i personally do not like to live in this state (very red politically, very corn fieldish).

I would like to try for the chicago schools, such as, Stritch, Rush, UiC Med, etc. My lack of shadowing worries me but my reasoning was i wanted to make sure i had all the requirements first (i.e. MCAT, GPA.) before fully commit myself to medicine. but now im 100% sure i would like to pursue medicine, im going full ballistic. I will try to get the best LORs, research, maintaining GPA, shadowing, so forth, for my last year,

Last edited:
I actually just went and subscribed to MSAR, it seems like 33 MCAT is on the lower end of matriculants at NW. I have a nice GPA but would adcom look down on it because of the undergraduate school i went to (Its not prestigious by any mean)?

I actually just went and subscribed to MSAR, it seems like 33 MCAT is on the lower end of matriculants at NW. I have a nice GPA but would adcom look down on it because of the undergraduate school i went to (Its not prestigious by any mean)?
No. A good GPA is a good GPA.

You need to get a lot of clinical volunteering and shadowing in pronto. Keep up with your research, submit day one, and have a lot of people look over your secondaries to make sure they are polished. This will give you the best shot, but with that said, odds at any given one school are pretty bad.

P.s. minor point: it is NU (Northwestern University) not NW (Northwestern is one word). Don't put NW in your secondary.

Reactions: 1 users