Need Advise on where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalDude_26

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just recently too the DAT for the 3rd time and was wondering on where I should apply this upcoming cycle with my most recent scores.

18AA, 19 TS
18 BIO
19 CHEM
21 ORGO
19 PAT
16 RC
17 QR

I am a non tradition student with an over all gpa of 3.2, but did a "postbac" where I went back as a non matriculating student and took all the dental pre-reqs and have a 3.8 postbac gpa. Also, I am thinking about taking Anatomy and Physiology I & II and Microbiology just to be able to apply to more schools.

Would anyone be able to tell me where I should apply with these stats?

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you where not to apply...

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Hello all,

I just recently too the DAT for the 3rd time and was wondering on where I should apply this upcoming cycle with my most recent scores.

18AA, 19 TS
18 BIO
19 CHEM
21 ORGO
19 PAT
16 RC
17 QR

I am a non tradition student with an over all gpa of 3.2, but did a "postbac" where I went back as a non matriculating student and took all the dental pre-reqs and have a 3.8 postbac gpa. Also, I am thinking about taking Anatomy and Physiology I & II and Microbiology just to be able to apply to more schools.

Would anyone be able to tell me where I should apply with these stats?
you should make that decision on your own

Members don't see this ad :)
You got an 18AA on your 3rd attempt? what has been your study strategy? imo you need a better score.

You can try to apply but it's going to be rough

Reactions: 1 users
Usual rule of thumb, start with your state of residence and within the states bordering it. Because you haven't really given us a full WAMC, I can't really make any other suggestions, but the 3 DATs won't help you.

Usual rule of thumb, start with your state of residence and within the states bordering it. Because you haven't really given us a full WAMC, I can't really make any other suggestions, but the 3 DATs won't help you.

Overall GPA: 3.26
Science GPA: 3.37
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.61
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
1st: 17AA, 18TS, 19 BIO, 17 CHEM, 20 OCHEM, 18 PAT, 16 RC, 13 QR
2nd: 17AA, 18TS, 20 BIO, 17 CHEM, 17 OCHEM, 19 PAT, 16 RC, 13 QR
3rd: 18
AA, 19TS, 18 BIO, 19 CHEM, 21 OCHEM, 19 PAT, 16 RC, 17 QR
State of Residence: NJ

Major:
BUSINESS ADMIN
Minority? Yes/Hispanic
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? Yes/career changer

Shadowing Experience: 100 hours at a general dentists
Volunteering Experience: 50 hours (Food kitchens & KinderSmile)
Employment: Financial Analyst/Senior Financial Analyst for the past 6 years
Research: none (working on this)
LOR type and strength: Biology professor, Organic Chem professor and two general dentists

School list:

Rutgers, NYU, Touro, Buffalo, Temple, Stony Brook, UNE, SIU, UMKC, Creighton

Last edited:
OP if you do get in, unfortunately it will very likely be to a school that costs north of $500,000. Make sure you know what you’re doing. This level of debt is no joke.

Big Hoss
Thank you for your advise. That will absolutely be on my mind when applying.

You got an 18AA on your 3rd attempt? what has been your study strategy? imo you need a better score.

You can try to apply but it's going to be rough
Used booster the 1st time. Went through the whole course plus read their bio notes. But neglected RC and QR
Used booster the 2nd and 3rd times. Did very little RC and a moderate QR. And for my third attempt I took many practice exams on all subjects scoring in the 20's in all science section and 17-20 on RC and QR.

For RC.. I just don't believe I am a fast reader. I took way too long on my first passage trying to answer ever question correctly that by the time I got to the last passage I had less than 7 mins and started to guess =/

Used booster the 1st time. Went through the whole course plus read their bio notes. But neglected RC and QR
Used booster the 2nd and 3rd times. Did very little RC and a moderate QR. And for my third attempt I took many practice exams on all subjects scoring in the 20's in all science section and 17-20 on RC and QR.

For RC.. I just don't believe I am a fast reader. I took way too long on my first passage trying to answer ever question correctly that by the time I got to the last passage I had less than 7 mins and started to guess =/
It’s not really one section that’s the issue here. I would go on the DAT forums and see where you can improve

This is going to be a tough one because you really haven't moved the DAT needle.

I would suggest connecting with student chapters of the Hispanic Dental Association. If you are strongly motivated to serve underserved or minority communities, you may need to up your volunteering to include those communities and then consider HBCU's.

This is going to be a tough one because you really haven't moved the DAT needle.

I would suggest connecting with student chapters of the Hispanic Dental Association. If you are strongly motivated to serve underserved or minority communities, you may need to up your volunteering to include those communities and then consider HBCU's.
Thank you so much for your advise. I didn't know this association existed. Will reach out to the schools chapters I am interested in.

Reactions: 1 user