need all the information on pediatric dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by kpat
Meggs, which AEGD programs in specific award a master's degree??? I am curious.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember specific names now. Before I decided to apply for IDP, I searched all different pathways, and that's when I learned a bit about AEGD and GPR programs. During that search I found out that some two years programs might award the degree, but I don't remember which ones.

Maybe Second Edition could tell us more about it, since she's enrolled in a residency she might now more about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Smiledoc thanks for your post.

well there are NO AEGD programs awarding an "MS in AEGD" degree, as that doesent make sense; but what some programs do provide you the option is to simultaneously get an MS degree in one of the basic sciences as someone above pointed out..and thats similar to any grad programs....where you do clinical work in clinic and attend basic science courses at school in oral biology, anatomy, biochemistry etc etc......yeah if you dont opt for this chance, then you end up with a CERTIFICATE in a 1/2 year GPR/AEGD

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for clearing it up Kajal.

Originally posted by KAJALKIRAN
well there are NO AEGD programs awarding an "MS in AEGD" degree, as that doesent make sense;

Exactly what I was thinking..........did not make sense at all.....

i was wondering what is the nature of work done during the gpr residency, and how sophisticated is the equipment in use ..in addition, does the stuff offer help in case a case is complicated..

Hi,
Iam a dentist from bangalore - India. I was interested in knowing if you are doing your pediatric dentistry after your DDS or is it an MS program?
I was also interested in doing an MS program .........but hadnt decided on the subject.
Would appreciate if you write back ....
Thanks

Originally posted by KAJALKIRAN
well there are NO AEGD programs awarding an "MS in AEGD" degree, as that doesent make sense; but what some programs do provide you the option is to simultaneously get an MS degree in one of the basic sciences as someone above pointed out..and thats similar to any grad programs....where you do clinical work in clinic and attend basic science courses at school in oral biology, anatomy, biochemistry etc etc......yeah if you dont opt for this chance, then you end up with a CERTIFICATE in a 1/2 year GPR/AEGD

Makes sense.

Hey all.
How r u guys doing. Jsut came over to see what happening here. Nothing much left it seems.
I have done BDD from India and then completed the requirements for getting into MS like NBDE, GRE, TOEFL, have a backing of 7 yrs of experience in various dental setups, lot of pedo dentistry experience and then competed with some 25 ADA accredited DDS degree holders for this position. Though my interview was good and very lengthy, I still fail to understand that how did I get selected for this position, Probably the Rule--ALLAH MEHARBAAN TO GADHA PEHALWAN, stands true for me. I did work hard for this,still a clinical program with a full tuition waiver and a stipend was nowhere in my dreams---the only things was that I gave a shot at everything--even took the dental hygiene licensing exam.
My GPR helped me a long way and again I was fortunate to get into it, coz of the post match--less candiddates and I struck at the right time. Lady luck is favouring---still the scores and everything matter---the presentation at the interview is the most important thing. If you are called --half the job is done---half is to impress. Hope makes sense.
Take care all of you.
Bye. Keep posting. By the way do any of you can confirm if after completing this specialty ---will it be possible to work as a general dentist. And please guys ---do not divert and delve into Y I would wanna do it---Its just a question and if anyone could answer it plainly--it'll be great--If not--allright

smiledoc said:
By the way do any of you can confirm if after completing this specialty ---will it be possible to work as a general dentist.

Congrats smiledoc! :thumbup:

For that question I guess you'll have to inquire about it in the states where you intend to practice. Probably some will allow it, but maybe some won't. So better check that out directly with each dental board.

congratulations smiledoc,your a very helpfull person .

hi smiledoc, no you CANNOT practice general dentistry, but must be restricted to pediatric dentistry unless you do a DDS in future. The states which allow a specialty practice specifies this. I think, with Pediatric care you are pretty much doing the whole of general dentistry-endo, ortho, restorative and a bit of perio-- however all on children only---so you are cool enough:) I think you can do a general practice if you get a licence in states like MN and CA (hanging still..)

What's the age limit for pediatric dentistry? 12, 18? Is there a legal age limit for that?

i assume its between 1 to 12.
i know a licensed dentist,he got his license by completing Msc,he doesent have the right to practice anything except prosthetic,his speciality,but he id doing everything a general practicionare can do.
once you get the license thats it,no one will come and ask you why are you doing class one.

toothlord said:
i assume its between 1 to 12.
i know a licensed dentist,he got his license by completing Msc,he doesent have the right to practice anything except prosthetic,his speciality,but he id doing everything a general practicionare can do.
once you get the license thats it,no one will come and ask you why are you doing class one.
class 1 what?? inlay or cavity restoration? well that can be acceptable as it is a part of restorative dentistry again, and the dentist can easily defend a lawsuit against him by claming that he was competent enough to do that part of the mouth preparation , as class 1 restoration is a part of restorative dentistry( prostho is a branch of restorative sciences)...
but yeah! if you know of a dentist who has a licence restricted only to prosthodontics and if he is attempting an extraction/endo therapy, please lemme know so that i can sue him and make millions.. and may be i can fund you partly for your DDS:)
friend, the basis of all this is that you can do WHATEVER you want to do, but the fact is that IF you are caught doing something which your licence doesent permit you to....then god save you as your licence will be scrapped and a lawsuit filed against you...is it worth all the risk??

We discussed this topic- AEGD/GPR program-on another thread.
After completion of a 2yr AEGD+NERB, you will be eligible to practise in only underserved areas of NYS. If you have a green card you can practise in any place in NYS.-according to a member from NYS dental board.
I think, working in underserved areas can work for your advantage- green card processing will be easier.
The catch is AEGD course completion certificate will not allow you to take NERB.Your dean should give a letter.
And also there are not many places in North East which have 2 yr program. Only Rochester for sure. Heard that there is lot of competition for that place.