This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NABIHANA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an immigrant, learned English at the age of 16. I have a degree in Biology (finished in 3 years) from a state university and currently pursuing MPH (master’s in public health GPA 3.6, no science courses).

MCAT scores 121/122/123/123

I was thinking about retaking it this August but I don't have the will to study again RN. I studied for 5 month the first time. I took the Princeton Review course, did 4 practice exams and scored 489 on the official MCAT.

I am currently working full time (clinical research assistant) and taking classes toward my masters. I have a lot of experience working in the ER (2000 h), doctors office (>2000 h), research, a publication under review, volunteering (200 h), coordinated a free clinic (500 h), and other non-health related volunteer. (>200 h)

My parents are pushing me because my cousins who were born here got accepted right away. So they want me to retake the MCAT and apply this cycle. I feel like I am not ready to go through this again.

I really want to go to medical school and if I do anything else I will regret it for the rest of my life. I am 22, I have time now to try again.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a plan! I can take fewer classes next semester (fall) and study again for the MCAT, retake in January and apply early next cycle. Meanwhile take more science courses to improve my science GPA (16 credits of >3000 level). What do you guys think?

Reactions: 1 user
The MCAT is really hard for people who learned English as a second language. Based on the experience of my friends who are not native English speakers, your reading is probably holding you back more than you think. Spend the time between now and your retake working on your reading skills.

The MCAT is really hard for people who learned English as a second language. Based on the experience of my friends who are not native English speakers, your reading is probably holding you back more than you think. Spend the time between now and your retake working on your reading skills.

Yes I am really slow in reading. Thank you for your reply :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely retake the MCAT, and spend more time studying this time. It is doable to increase your scores dramatically, but expect some heavy and intense studying.

Try to figure out if it's the content or the reading. If it's the content, more review is needed. If it's the reading, it improves with time as you do more practice. Don't be demoralized!

I learned English as a second language and the reading didn't hold me back from getting a balanced high score.