Need answers to some basic questions..!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simply_me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi friends...

if i want to pursue a career in medical science in Australia, would someone plzz explain me the process??
i m frm BC, Canada; currently in grade 12, and shall be graduating next year. do i have to complete an undergraduate degree (like in canada and united states) in order to get admission to an australian medical school? if yes, how long is it?? how long is the medical school?? would i able to come back and practice in canada?? do australian med. schools accept international students?? if yes, what r some of the good universities out there?? what would be the annual costs??

i'd really appreciate if anyone could answer my questions...!!
please reply asap..

thanx...

Members don't see this ad.

32 views...but no replies??
friends... i really need ur help!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello simply_me:

It is very good that you look into the career in Grade 12! Yes, Australia accepts international students and many of them are from Canada!

Australia is one of those unique places that still has both graduate and undergraduate entry medicine. Graduate entry means that you get in after your 1st degree, in which they look at your unversity grades, MCAT (a long exam--google if you want to find out more), and a personal interview--- Canadian schools also require extensive volunteer/personal experience, but not so much in Australia. During your degree, you will also need to take some prereq courses (e.g. first year biology, chem, organic chem ect), but otherwise you can choose any degree you want b4 applying to med. The program is 4 years. Examples of schools in Australia that offer this are UQ, USYD. Annual costs 37,000-43,000 Aud.

I don't know much about undergraduate entry, but I believe it is mostly based on your high school grades, as well as an interview and an exam?? (UMAT?) Canada does not have these schools, but Australia still has them. The program length is 5-6 years. Examples of schools in Australia that offer this are Monash, UNSW. Annual Cost...not too sure, although I think it would be the same.

In terms of coming back to Canada, I am certain that people studying in the graduate entry have applied and come back to practice in Canada--although it is quite difficult to get into programs other than family medicine. In 2007, Canada will allow international medical graduates (IMG's--which Cad students studying in Aussiland and all other schools outside of Cad/US r classified as) to match first round. This might improve the situation, although I am not sure by how much. Many students also apply for training in the US--which offers more programs. :)

For undergraduate entry, I am not sure whether people have applied back since I don't know much about it. But I think the best thing to do is to e-mail CARMS or other medical licensing agencies to get the best answer.

Good luck.
:)

silverfish said:
Hello simply_me:

It is very good that you look into the career in Grade 12! Yes, Australia accepts international students and many of them are from Canada!

Australia is one of those unique places that still has both graduate and undergraduate entry medicine. Graduate entry means that you get in after your 1st degree, in which they look at your unversity grades, MCAT (a long exam--google if you want to find out more), and a personal interview--- Canadian schools also require extensive volunteer/personal experience, but not so much in Australia. During your degree, you will also need to take some prereq courses (e.g. first year biology, chem, organic chem ect), but otherwise you can choose any degree you want b4 applying to med. The program is 4 years. Examples of schools in Australia that offer this are UQ, USYD. Annual costs 37,000-43,000 Aud.

I don't know much about undergraduate entry, but I believe it is mostly based on your high school grades, as well as an interview and an exam?? (UMAT?) Canada does not have these schools, but Australia still has them. The program length is 5-6 years. Examples of schools in Australia that offer this are Monash, UNSW. Annual Cost...not too sure, although I think it would be the same.

In terms of coming back to Canada, I am certain that people studying in the graduate entry have applied and come back to practice in Canada--although it is quite difficult to get into programs other than family medicine. In 2007, Canada will allow international medical graduates (IMG's--which Cad students studying in Aussiland and all other schools outside of Cad/US r classified as) to match first round. This might improve the situation, although I am not sure by how much. Many students also apply for training in the US--which offers more programs. :)

For undergraduate entry, I am not sure whether people have applied back since I don't know much about it. But I think the best thing to do is to e-mail CARMS or other medical licensing agencies to get the best answer.

Good luck.
:)

hi silverfish...

thanxxxxxxx alottt for replying and answering my questions!!!!
that really helped me....
all the best for ur future..
thanx once again!!!

Hi simply_me:

No Problem. Hope things work out for you :thumbup: . Let us know if you have any more questions.

simply_me said:
hi friends...

if i want to pursue a career in medical science in Australia, would someone plzz explain me the process??
i m frm BC, Canada; currently in grade 12, and shall be graduating next year. do i have to complete an undergraduate degree (like in canada and united states) in order to get admission to an australian medical school? if yes, how long is it?? how long is the medical school?? would i able to come back and practice in canada?? do australian med. schools accept international students?? if yes, what r some of the good universities out there?? what would be the annual costs??

i'd really appreciate if anyone could answer my questions...!!
please reply asap..

thanx...

Simply me...there are many undergrad medical schools in Australia...that means you can come straight after your grade 12 but that will mean 6 years at most of these universities. Monash Uni in Melbourne is only 5 years...and all the undergrad medical programs differ amongst themselves so it would be best to go to their program website and get some info...if you want to know about UNSW I can fill you in...in my opinion the popular undergrad med schools are Melbourne, UNSW, Monash...

Please note that some unis don't accept predicted/forecast grades so you must apply with your actual grades and the intake of med students happens around March. Most of them will require UMAT and also a phone interview. From what I know...the majority of international students in undergrad med programs come from southeast asia (many many from singapore and malaysia)...per annum international tuition fees cost about A$35000 and get more expensive as you progress...

With an Australian med degree you'll probably need to convert your licence back to Canadian...

Hope this helps!