Need Answers!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AprilH

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am an undergrad student who plans on attending medical school. I just recieved info on the curriculum and found out that I will be going to school from 7:30 am until 5:00 pm on most days. My question to you medical students is how do you survive!? What I mean is what types of jobs do you hold while attending and what kind of hours do you work. I own a home and have to pay a mortgage and it seems like it's going to be impossible to get a real job at night that will pay enough to do so. Forgive me if I sound ignorant but my undergrad school offers enough night classes that I am able to work a full time day job. I have no idea how I will live in medical school. Please enlighten me and help me get out of the sheer panic that has just taken over! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's called loans. If you are going to be attending a med school that spends that many hours in class, do you really think you will have time to work AND to study? Even if there are enough hours in the day, you will be too tired because, in my opinion, studying can be draining. The school I go to only has afternoon classes a few days a week and then I'm still finished at 3 pm. This leaves time to study and get a decent night's sleep or to just have fun sometimes. And my school doesn't even allow us to hold jobs, but if they did, I would never get one. They allow you plenty of money for living expenses so I have extra money left over after rent and other bills (and that is living alone, without anyone to share costs with). Everyone has to do it, except those that are really lucky, so don't sweat it. :)

Most schools strongly discourage employment during med school & living expenses are part of the loans (although some schools are ridiculously stingy on living expenses+pissed+ ).