need biochem for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soydelish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
How important is it to take biochem before med school? Some schools seem to require it, while others recommend it or give no mention. i didn't have it in undergrad but thought about taking a class/teaching myself in the year off. Suggestions? :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
How important is it to take biochem before med school? Some schools seem to require it, while others recommend it or give no mention. i didn't have it in undergrad but thought about taking a class/teaching myself in the year off. Suggestions? :idea:

Well, if you have the time, it certainly wouldn't hurt. Obviously if you are applying to the schools that require it, then you'd do well to take it elsewhere, but other than that, I don't see a pressing need for it. You take medical biochemistry during your pre-clinical years, so it's up to you whether you feel like you would benefit from a boost.

Hi all,

Apparently there are at least 2 classes available online if that is an easier option. I don't know the details since I haven't done the search for them (I'm taking it now real time), but it was mentioned at the interview of a school that requires it. Try a google search....

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are going to take it, I'd recommend taking it realtime rather than online, unless your undergraduate institution will allow you to transfer the credits without a notation that it was taken online.

One alternative would be to take it as a summer class at another 4-year college nearby.

Biochem isn't required at very many schools, though my first choice does require it. Although it's been very, very helpful in reinforcing concepts from biology, I think it would help more with the MCAT than with your performance in medical school... since you've graduated, unless you have your heart set on a school that requires it, it's probably better use of your time to do things other than learning biochemistry.

Of the schools I applied to none of them required it, however all of them recommended it. In other words, they really really really really really really really really really really want you to take it. At any rate, it'll be a good foundation for the biochemistry course you'll take in Med School.

Apparently there are at least 2 classes available online if that is an easier option. I don't know the details since I haven't done the search for them (I'm taking it now real time), but it was mentioned at the interview of a school that requires it. Try a google search....

Does anyone know which schools these online-course givers are?

Hi all,

Check the MSAR (medical school admissions requirements) book. There are some schools that do require biochem so if you don't take it you won't be able to apply to those schools. Other then that, you're going to learn all that in med school anyway so taking biochem beforehand might help you out a little, but it's not necissary. Also, there is some biochem on the MCAT (enzyme kinetics, hemoglobin stuff, etc) so you might be at a slight disadvantage not taking biochem.

Hope this helps.

i have 8 interviews as of today
and i havent taken genetics or biochem.

hope that helps

Hi all,

If the school doesn't specifically REQUIRE biochem, then you can get by without it. If the school specifically RECOMMENDS biochem, then you can still get by without it, but should know ahead of time that like 90% of the class will have taken it, so the prof may assume you have a little background that you don't have. You can catch up with a few extra hours a week, but for some that is a disadvantage. If the school says neither, then a good chunk of the class wont have had it, and you are totally fine.

Also worth noting is that some college biochem classes are better than others, and memories for that kind of detail tend to wane, and so more than a few people who have supposedly taken biochem found themselves starting from scratch in med school anyhow. I wouldn't bother trying to teach yourself anything for med school -- I've never met anyone who tried this and felt it helped (myself included). You cannot have a sense of the pace or focus of med school until you get there, and will be wasting your time. But I suppose you could do little silly time saving things like memorizing the names and structures of the amino acids, if you have time to kill.

If the school doesn't specifically REQUIRE biochem, then you can get by without it. If the school specifically RECOMMENDS biochem, then you can still get by without it, but should know ahead of time that 90% of the class will have taken it, so the prof may assume you have a little background that you don't have. You can catch up with a few extra hours a week, but for some that is a disadvantage. If the school says neither, then a good chunk of the class wont have had it, and you are totally fine.

Also worth noting is that some college biochem classes are better than others, and memories for that kind of detail tend to wane, and so more than a few people who have supposedly taken biochem found themselves starting from scratch in med school anyhow. I wouldn't bother trying to teach yourself anything for med school -- I've never met anyone who tried this and felt it helped (myself included). You cannot have a sense of the pace or focus of med school until you get there, and will be wasting your time. But I suppose you could do little silly time saving things like memorizing the names and structures of the amino acids, if you have time to kill.

90%? Wow.