Need Dental Admissions Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H25S

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so Im currently finish up a two year degree (AA) and will be transferring to a full university in the fall. My plan has always been to do dental, but unfortunately my first year in college was very shaky. Currently my GPA is sitting at a tragically low 2.42 not including the 16 credits I'm taking this semester. My question is, is there still time to save my GPA before applying to dental schools? Im aware that I still have the next two years to try and pick it up, but I know it gets harder and harder to try and bring up the further in you get. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you get an interview they will likely ask you why your GPA was low at the beginning so have a good answer for that.

Why is your GPA so low? how will you do well in a 4 year university, let alone dental school with such work habits? make sure you pinpoint your weakness
and improve them because the last thing you want to do is get an even lower GPA in your university. In your case, I suggest maintaining a 3.5+ GPA every semester
in college from here on out, and if by the the time you graduate you have around a 3.3 GPA, you may have a chance with a strong DAT score (20+).

However, if you find that you're having trouble getting a DAT score above a 20, or if your GPA continues to remain low, you can always do a postbac or masters
to increase your grades and make yourself more competitive. And if you still mess up in masters then compensate by gaining an incredible load of dental
experience (I have met applicants during interviews with very low DAT and GPAs that got invited due to stellar EC). We're talking 3 + years of work experience
in healthcare or some sort of community service. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
You need to really kill it your last two years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's possible but it's going to take a lot of effort. I had a 2.3 my freshman year and was able to bring it up to a 3.5 by the time I applied. I trended with a 3.8 my last 3 years and got an A in every pre-req. I've gotten accepted into a couple of school and wait listed also. If you do well on you're DAT (20+) and bring your gpa up, trending around a 3.6+ I think it's possible, it's gonna take a lot of work tho.

Hey guys, so Im currently finish up a two year degree (AA) and will be transferring to a full university in the fall. My plan has always been to do dental, but unfortunately my first year in college was very shaky. Currently my GPA is sitting at a tragically low 2.42 not including the 16 credits I'm taking this semester. My question is, is there still time to save my GPA before applying to dental schools? Im aware that I still have the next two years to try and pick it up, but I know it gets harder and harder to try and bring up the further in you get. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

H25S, you can do it. Sometimes people have rough starts and anyone can understand that (admissions committee, etc). The key now is to keep your goal in mind and really focus on improving and increasing your GPA. Not only just your GPA though. You have to be an all around good and competitive candidate. It may not be easy but it is very possible.
You have to become really organized, steadfast, and diligent.
You can do it! (a little motivation) :)