Need EC suggestions for the off-year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johannen

Weathered Wayfarer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, all.

It's getting to that time of year where those of us less fortunate think about the off-year and reapplication. You can see my MDApps profile in my signature, but let me sum it up for you: 3.7, 37 (12V, 12P, 13B, R) with very weak ECs and almost no clinical experience. I've been doing more shadowing to help with the clinical aspect. I have three waitlists and no acceptances, so I'm trying to strengthen my application for the next application cycle. I need suggestions on what to do to help me in this matter; I'm well aware that my lack of success in this cycle is due to my extracurriculars. Thanks for your help!

Johannen

Members don't see this ad.

I'd get some clinical experience FOR SURE. Look for a job or do lots of shadowing. Check your PMs too.

Hey, all.

It's getting to that time of year where those of us less fortunate think about the off-year and reapplication. You can see my MDApps profile in my signature, but let me sum it up for you: 3.7, 37 (12V, 12P, 13B, R) with very weak ECs and almost no clinical experience. I've been doing more shadowing to help with the clinical aspect. I have three waitlists and no acceptances, so I'm trying to strengthen my application for the next application cycle. I need suggestions on what to do to help me in this matter; I'm well aware that my lack of success in this cycle is due to my extracurriculars. Thanks for your help!

Johannen

I agree that it's most likely your lack of clinical experience that's hurting you. However, you should be careful about these kinds of assumptions. If you don't get off a waitlist and need to reapply, try to contact some of the adcomms to get an honest appraisal of your app and your lack of success (there could be something you overlooked, and something you'd need to improve as well).

My only advice for clinical experience is that you should look beyond shadowing and maybe try to find something more active. Obviously shadowing is a good way to learn about medicine, but one of my research advisors who interviews med school applicants said that shadowing is not very impressive as a clinical experience because it is passive, you're just watching a doctor work. I'm not saying there's anything wrong necessarily with shadowing, but you should look for activities where you're actually doing something rather than watching (a better experience for you and your app)