Need everyone's advice on my school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsc2879

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, Everybody, I want you guys give me some advices on theschool list I created. Simply put I have two sets of MCAT scores, my first is28M, and my second is 36M (PS 14, VR 11, and BS 11). English is my secondlanguage, and I came to the U.S.six years ago. I am doing well on verbal, but still not so good on writing. Iam Chinese male and PA resident. If you want to know the detail of my profit,you can click on my MDapplicants link, thanks:

Universityof California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine

Georgetown University School of Medicine

Schoolof Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania

Universityof Pittsburgh School of Medicine

WeillCornell Medical College

VanderbiltUniversity School of Medicine

Universityof Washington School of Medicine at Seattle

CaseWestern Reserve University School of Medicine

NewYork University School of Medicine

Universityof Virginia School of Medicine

EmoryUniversity School of Medicine

TheWarren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

Universityof Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine

JeffersonMedical College of Thomas Jefferson University

TempleUniversity School of Medicine

DrexelUniversity College of Medicine

GeorgeWashington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences

UniformedServices University of the Health Sciences F. Edward Hebert Sc...

Among them,Case Western is my dream school!!!

P.S. I forgot to mention it in my profile, I will be doing CRTA next year at NCI

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you a US citizen or permanent resident? I'm just curious, why do you want to go to USUHS? For that, you would actually have to be a US citizen.

Are you a US citizen or permanent resident? I'm just curious, why do you want to go to USUHS? For that, you would actually have to be a US citizen.

I don't think you are eligible for citizenship until you have been permanent resident 7 years. For non-citizens it is truly an uphill struggle for US allopathic. OP, Your second MCAT score is great, but I would hold off one more year until you are eligible for citizenship, and then you would likely be considered a competitive applicant at a number of schools - but you may want to revise that list, as it is VERY top-heavy. For each top 25 school, I would make sure to balance with between 1 and 2 mid-tier schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a u.s. citizen. I got that covered.

I don't think you are eligible for citizenship until you have been permanent resident 7 years. For non-citizens it is truly an uphill struggle for US allopathic. OP, Your second MCAT score is great, but I would hold off one more year until you are eligible for citizenship, and then you would likely be considered a competitive applicant at a number of schools - but you may want to revise that list, as it is VERY top-heavy. For each top 25 school, I would make sure to balance with between 1 and 2 mid-tier schools.

Not 7 years, but 5 years since one of my parents is u.s. citizen

Thanks for the advice. I took Yale out and put georgetown in

Last edited:
No. Not 7 years, 5 years since one of my parents is u.s. citizen

Thanks for the advice. I took Yale out and put georgetown in

A switch between Yale and Georgetown isn't as drastic a change as you might expect. What is your state school?

I graduated from Penn State with Honors, major in bioengineering. 3.79 gpa and science gpa

I spent first two years in penn state satellite campus. That might not play well for me.

I graduated from Penn State with Honors, major in bioengineering. 3.79 gpa and science gpa

I spent first two years in penn state satellite campus. That might not play well for me.

Don't a lot of PA residents have to do that because so many students apply to PSU-State College? I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

Why I want to go to USUHS. Because first its debt free and second I always have a thing for the military. I wanted to apply for west point for my undergraduate but I wasn't a citizen at that time.

Another thing that comes in my mind is that how realistic is this for me to get into UCLA and U of Washing at Seattle. I know they are really difficult for out-state students to get in.

Another thing that comes in my mind is that how realistic is this for me to get into UCLA and U of Washing at Seattle. I know they are really difficult for out-state students to get in.
word on the street is that U Washington is looking for those interested in Rural medicine. doesn't seem like that's really up your alley.

word on the street is that U Washington is looking for those interested in Rural medicine. doesn't seem like that's really up your alley.

Thanks. Yeah, I like city way more than suburb or rural area. I might rethink about this option. I really like Seattle as a city though. Hopefully I could live there eventually.

lol we got almost the same exact MCAT scores (down to the two Ms, except your second one is 1 point higher), are both PA residents, and both did organic chemistry research.

I interviewed at UVA, Pitt, Vanderbilt, and Drexel, with the results being wait-lists at the first 3 and a rejection from Drexel...focused on reapplying since December.

I think your list is good with the exception of UCLA, UWash (both are terrible for OOS) and Brown (most of the class already comes from their BS/MD) program.

If OOS (that is to say, not from AK, WY, WA, ID, MT) you need to have a demonstrated commitment to either rural med or the underserved, the latter could be inner city youth work, health care advocacy, mission trips, etc.