Need Fall Advice / Dilema

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xBODOMx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next fall I have the opportunity to take Bio, o-chem and physics. The reason being is I'm a transfer student and if I take these classes over the fall and spring, I can take my MCAT after them and with a little studying. The pluses will be that it is still fairly fresh in my head. And next fall/spring is my junior year. I could wait and take one my senior year, but I feel it will set me back. (because I'm not too sure of mcat / application schedules etc.) Does anyone think this will be WAY too much? Heavily affect my gpa negatively?

Edit: I work about 20hrs a week. I have to for financial reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're working that much I wouldn't recommend that course load. Organic and Biology are really heavy on memorization and physics (and organic) is all about cranking out problems to make sure you understand the material.

I personally was told not to take on that much because I most likely wouldn't be able to fully understand the material in each of those prereqs by taking them all at once.

I'm a transfer student, too (fall 2009) and the first semester at my new school I took organic with 3 writing intensive classes and a community service class that had class time + 2 hours/week of volunteering (not including travel time). On top of that I worked 10 hours/week.

I wouldn't recommend it, but if science classes are easier for you and you have taken on other tough schedules, maybe you can do it.

Does your organic, physics, and biology classes include lab? You should consider that, too. The class could potentially have a discussion along with the lecture and lab, so when you think you're signing up for one class session you're actually getting 3.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. Yea my physics and organic has a recitation. Hmm. Could I take one class like physics my senior year then have time for the mcat and still apply "early"

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the middle of my second semester of organic+physics+upper level bio, and labs. Its not really that bad, but if you're working 20 hours a week I wouldn't recommend it.
-edit-
you can't take summer courses?

Ahh. I see. And I would but I'm taking AnP and Gen chem 2 this summer. Maybe if I see the workload for this and how well I do I can decide how well next semester could go.