1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Need feedback on Medicine Sub-I

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by devilwearsprada, Apr 9, 2007.

1. devilwearsprada

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Hello, I graduated from an Indian Medical School and had to move here for family reasons and now have to complete the rest of my education here.

I am now going for 2 months of sub-I in Internal Medicine.Although my fellowship interest is Allergy and Immunology, I chose Critical Care Medicine and Pulmonology rotations as I felt the greatest difference in Indian and American Medical School are here and I need to augment this.
    I had lots of out-patient experiences in Infectious Diseases, Dermatology and OB/GYN in my school and did not find a significant difference here and I am quite comfortable.

Given my background and future interests do you think these are good sub-I choices for me?
    Looking forward to some feedback. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. babyruth

babyruth Babyruth
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Always good to have critical care under your belt; although your choices won't back you a whole lot better in the field of allergy, (maybe immunology), they will make you a better physician in knowing how to take care of really sick people. Good luck!

4. scubamd

scubamd New Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I recently did an allergy/immunology month as an elective during my internship, and I can tell you that pulmonology is a good choice because of the overlap regarding asthma/reactive airway disease.

There were a ton of referrals to my clinic from pulmonology for poorly controlled asthma, and we sent a fair number of patients (typically young children with bad atopy) to pulmonology also. The allergists were all well-versed in the asthma literature, and they would often manage it themselves.

The only other specialties with which we had appreciable contact was dermatology and, to a lesser extent, gastroenterology (for eosinophilic esophagitis).

Edited to say that we actually had the biggest overlap with ENT, but you're not going into surgery.

5. devilwearsprada

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Thanks for your input:)

6. devilwearsprada

2+ Year Member

Post Doc

Thank you. Its good to know I made the right choice :)