Need feedback on my idea to launch a resident-friendly medical educational website

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AttendingDocNJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, before I dive into my idea, I wanted to give a little bit of an introduction: I am currently an attending/clinical faculty in Internal Medicine residency program in a community hospital in NJ. I spend 90% of my time working with residents and medical students in both inpatient and outpatient settings and my advantage (atleast according to my peers) is that I can relate to my residents because I graduated out of residency only 3 years ago.

I realize my residents like my approach towards teaching because I speak in their "language" in terms of breaking down complex topics such as pulmonary hypertension into simplified concepts. My knowledge is obviously based on widely-practiced and most current guidelines. While UptoDate, Medscape, and Harrison's are wonderful resources, it has been my experience that residents crave information in bite-sized pieces and with an inclination towards "how can I immediately apply this information in my daily interactions with the patients." UptoDate has so many articles on a single topic that residents feel like they never know enough about a certain disease (I advise them to read UptoDate to answer a clinical question and not as the main resource for studying). Also old-timers who swear by Harrison's prefer to know the all the little non-contributory details but I find that in our current digital age with our attention being divided amongst so many other things (such as how many comments did my new puppy get on Instagram), my approach tends to stick better.

With that observation, my plan is to launch a website in which I send out weekly email covering a certain aspect of a disease process. One week could be the management of CAD, another week could be pathophysiology of DM2 and it's implications all with the emphasis on how I can take this information and apply it in my daily care of the patients. Obviously, if this approach caught on, I would send out more emails in a week. In this manner, a resident who is on a busy floor month or in an ICU setting now can atleast do little bit of quick reading as opposed to not getting any reading done the whole block outside of reading about their own patients.

For those who are wondering about my style of teaching, I did post a link last year about stress tests with my own designed algorithm attached and thankfully, got favorable feedback. Here's the link:

Ordering a right type of stress test

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts here. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Ideas are cheap, execution is everything.

Do you have protected time through your job or is this on your free time? Realistically you will lose motivation after 6 months when you are doing all this work for 15 people on your mailing list.

Ideas are cheap, execution is everything.

Do you have protected time through your job or is this on your free time? Realistically you will lose motivation after 6 months when you are doing all this work for 15 people on your mailing list.

It would be in my free time and yeah, I would want to build a mailing list to atleast 50-100 people. But, have to start somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be in my free time and yeah, I would want to build a mailing list to atleast 50-100 people. But, have to start somewhere.
Would people only have this info via email or would it always be posted (database searchable) on your site?

It sounds like you want a more succinct "up to date "

Would people only have this info via email or would it always be posted (database searchable) on your site?

It sounds like you want a more succinct "up to date "
Old emails would be posted on my website and yes, my vision is accurately for more succinct version of UptoDate and I think it's becoming more adaptable to the realities of current times. I am not THAT much older than my residents but I find that in the last few years, smartphones and social media have literally taken over our lives where attention span is getting shorter and shorter.

Reactions: 1 user