need feedback on my mcat prep please !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dextor2003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i seriously started studying for the mcat 10 days ago. i originally was thinking of taking it next year after i take human phys this upcoming semester, but some people have told me that i should just study over the summer and take it sooner. so thats what ive been trying to do...but i dont think my studying has been going as well as it needs to...

i first took a kaplan diagnostic (15 days ago) administered in their office and got a 23 (9 PS, 7 VR, 7 BS). so i thought that if i were to take it after i study over the summer, i should take it on sept 11, so that would give me almost 3 months. my strategy thus far has been to just go over the material that im most weak on (based on the diagnostic tests). so thats wat ive been doing, and im yet to finish going over all the material i did bad on, on that first kaplan diagnostic. it should take me 3 more days max, and then ill take another kaplan FL that i have on my comp. so im just going to score that, and again, just study the areas that i do the worst in. this way, i feel ill be not wasting time on material im already really good at. ive made an excel spreadsheet in which i note down all my practice test scores, mark all the areas i do poorly on, and mark which areas ive reviewed to keep track of my progress

currently, i go to the lib 5 days a week (the other two days i do research/volunteer), and spend 5-7 hours studying for the mcat. and usually every day, i go over notecards i have on my iphone over the topics ive already covered to keep them in my memory. i find it very hard to study at home though because i live in a small apartment, and theres noise constantly everywhere. otherwise, id do more than just notecard reivew at home...

i initially used the barrons book (this was a couple weeks before i even took the kaplan diagnostic) but found that it was crap. however, i studied thoroughly the section about the eukaryotic/prokaryotic cells, transcription, translation, and meiosis, so i have that down at least. since, ive been using the examkrackers study collection i have on my laptop for everything (PS, VR, and BS). and i also have the EK 101 passages, which im going through. additionally, i have about 12 kaplan FLs, along with both topical and sectional tests for each subject, which i will go through. i also do about 10 questions a day from mcatquestionaday.com (whatever diff. that makes..)

i read sn2's 3 month guide thing, but my family honestly cant afford that much (both my parents are unemployed), which is why ive downloaded all my study material, and why i never even considered taking an mcat class..

so basically, im not pleased with my current progress and am still contemplating whether to take the mcat on sept 11 or not...i still havent registered for it. i will still continue to study for it whether i take it then or not. but i dont know if i'll be ready by then. do you guys think i should just take it next year after ive had human phys ?

also, ill keep posting my practice test scores here to mark my progress, and id love it if you guys can give me some feedback

thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

No, you shouldn't. A 24 for a diagnostic is actually very good and you can easily aim for 30+ in the amount of time. The EK stuff is good; I have TPR and BR but I think EK is nice and to the point and if you cover all of the material, do thorough content review, and re-read each book once you will be fine. Make sure you do all the in class exams, and do as many problems as possible; I know you said money is tight, but your best bet is to get the 1001 series.

Do not make the mistake of wasting money on a prep class; I did....and it is not useful. I am WAYYY more productive in 3 hours rather than going to a class to hear someone passively teach me the material. Also, do not wait. The summer is the BEST time to study for an MCAT and take it and get it over with.

As you so from Sn2ed post and advice on this forum, it is VERY difficult to take a full load during the semester and study for a test like this...especially if you plan on volunteering/continuing research. its just no doable; I had several friends who tried and their MCAT scores reflect their decision. Taking that hum phys will do nothing for your score; maybe you'l get a point higher; Human physiology is not tested heavily, and if it is its more passaged based as opposed to the rote memorization of the specifics of each part of the body...

So be smart. Study hard. Take it now and do well instead of making the mistake so many have made of taking it during a school year. Also, 5 days in the library for 5-7 is VERY productive; if you wanna study at home, go to Walmart and buy rubber earplugs they have; theres like 12 that come for 3 dollars and they block out all noise. This solved my noise roommate/loud apartment problem. Good luck man. Hope you take the advice. :luck: