Need feedback on sequence of rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popopopop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I have to select a preference for the order of my 3rd year rotations soon and I wanted extra opinions. I'm interested in adult medicine, mainly IM and neuro at this point. Which do you think has the better schedule? I'm thinking sequence 2 may give me more time to hone my knowledge/smarts to do better on the IM rotation in spring.

Thank you for your time!

upload_2018-10-4_8-21-25.png

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't matter, and is probably more dependent on feedback from your upperclassmen than anything else. The general consensus is to have your specialty of choice towards the middle, because you've been broken in but aren't burnt out yet.

I personally went straight into medicine and surgery because I was interested in both and needed to decide. Worked out well for me. At my school at least, there is a bit of a curve for the first rotation or two as it's expected for you not to know much. Either you look dumb - which was expected - or you know more than they expected, and look good.

I also understand there's a bit of a curve for shelf for early takers - not sure if that's an institutional thing or NBME thing.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still a bit torn, but definitely great points here that I didn't think of. I'll try to reach out to some upperclassmen for sure. Thank you guys!

Hello everybody, I have to select a preference for the order of my 3rd year rotations soon and I wanted extra opinions. I'm interested in adult medicine, mainly IM and neuro at this point. Which do you think has the better schedule? I'm thinking sequence 2 may give me more time to hone my knowledge/smarts to do better on the IM rotation in spring.

Thank you for your time!

View attachment 240468

1st sequence bc OMM, Psych, and Elective are chill rotations that will give you plenty of time as you crank up your study for Step 2. FM as a first rotation is tough but it's going to force you to literally study a little bit of everything, which is a fantastic review after Step 1.