need for both psychology and psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

*confused*

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to medical school this summer but was accepted into the Columbia post-bac for psychology. I was a bio major, was interested in psychology but didn't pursue it. If I accepted this post-bac, do you think that the research involved (assuming it was more on the biopsychology/neurobio side) and classes like biopsych might also count as upper level science and help updates in application? In addition, would understanding both fields be helpful as a future psychiatrist and add some career options? i'm not much in love with benchwork .. .

or should i just wait on medical post-bacs to pull thru? i'm interested in learning about psychology but ultimately, my main goal is to become a psychiatrist. Would this make me a unique applicant or just look odd?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait for the med-school acceptance. You'll be sorry if you waste a year when you could have gone straight through. The post-bac in psych is essentially useless to you unless it helps you net a PhD in psychology...which you've implied that you're not interested in. You'll learn all the neuro and biopsych you'll need in med school, residency, and beyond.

The classes will most likely not count unless they are offered by the science dept, and not psychology or liberal arts dept.