1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

need for research

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by evans267, Oct 25, 2002.

1. evans267

evans267 Junior Member

i'm in the midst of applying to the ophtho residency match and i have a question. i haven't hit the interview trail yet, although am about to embark. i can't complain, i have 11 offers for interviews (including iowa and wash u), which i am thrilled about. i did well in med school (AOA member, board scores in the 99 %ile - although not a 255!) but i don't have research experience. a caviat - i am a practicing optometrist so that makes up for some of my deficiency. how do i handle the question of lack of research? to explain a little why, i practiced optometry every weekend and i was heavily involved in extra curricular activities. i know there are many good applicants out there and i wonder how this will affect me.

thanks for a reply:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fugax

fugax Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

congratulations...i don't think that a lack of research will hurt you that badly if you've gotten several interviews already. don't get me wrong, i think research is certainly a plus, but it sounds like you have a lot of other things going for you. out of curiosity, when/how did you hear from wash u? email? i'm still waiting to hear from them (usually a bad sign, right?) but perhaps i'll see you in iowa...best of luck :)

4. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Research is nice, but is not a must. With 11 interviews, it sounds like you are a strong applicant.

5. evans267

evans267 Junior Member

fugax...

i just heard from wash u last week. i was very suprised, because i thought they wouldn't let us know until after the dean's letter came out. i will probably see you in iowa, since i am also interviewing on the 15th.

good luck!