Need guidance. Current LoA Med student. Possible withdrawal reapply.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needhelp007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
so my story is crazy. Ivy humanities science double major. 3.7 gpa. 4.0+ science. 99.9 percentile MCAT.

Took gap year doing startups.
Accepted few schools, accepted scholarship at decent ranked school.

1st semester managed out of state biz and didn't work hard at school. Got B's. No grades worse than B. Parent fell gravely ill. Took LoA. Didn't finish 1st semester.

Took LoA for another year.
Parent became better. Business took off.

I can start school in August. But I want to request a LoA. I believe there is a very high chance the school will not approve and I will have to withdraw or attend.

I was in severe debt following parent's illness and poor managemet of biz while in Med school. I am net worth 100-150k now.

The 12 months off, I would make 800k at the minimum. I'm afraid I can't manage my business or trust others to do so. So my only option is to stop and attend school or possibly withdrawal and reapply again.

If I withdraw with financial reasons such as this opportunity to secure a financial future for me and my family. I withdraw. And reapply after one year, will I even be considered?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are students who have matriculated, withdrawn, highly prejudiced against?

I'm considering just going to school in fall. The opportunity cost would be 800k+

On the other hand, sure I want to be a doctor but my family is impoverished. Prior to Biz success, I came from a welfare household, single mother, first generation, trailer park, household income less than 10k. Logically, perhaps I have only one choice.

The path will be hard but I guess that's what I have to do.

Anyways, looking for insight if anyone withdrew and successfully gained admission into a reasonably ranked school.

If any adcoms can speak on if they would filter out withdrawal or actually consider the circumstances. I was told my only options after withdrawal would be Carribbean programs regardless of stellar stats.

I 100% want to do medicine. I just need more info before I consider withdrawing and reapplying. Or if odds seem grim I'll just have to enroll.

Sincerely value advice and welcome PMs.

Request a deferral. But if you can't get one, the choice is either become a physician or pursue business. Med schools won't waste your time with you after you refused to go after being accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
so my story is crazy. .Ivy humanities science double major. 3.7 gpa. 4.0+ science. 99.9 percentile MCAT..

Took gap year doing startups.
.Accepted few schools, accepted scholarship at decent ranked school..

1st semester managed out of state biz and didn't work hard at school. Got B's. No grades worse than B. Parent fell gravely ill. Took LoA. Didn't finish 1st semester.

Took LoA for another year.
.Parent became better. Business took off..

I can start school in August. But I want to request a LoA. I believe there is a very high chance the school will not approve and I will have to withdraw or attend.

I was in severe debt following parent's illness and poor managemet of biz while in Med school. I am net worth 100-150k now.

The 12 months off, I would make 800k at the minimum. I'm afraid I can't manage my business or trust others to do so. So my only option is to stop and attend school or possibly withdrawal and reapply again.

If I withdraw with financial reasons such as this opportunity to secure a financial future for me and my family. I withdraw. And reapply after one year, will I even be considered?

Do you want to be a doctor or not????

Reactions: 5 users
This is a 2 birds in the bush or one in the hand situation bud. Take the sure-fire way to financial independence/success/whatever and become a doctor. If this flubs and you chose not to go your 100% totally *%)#ed for a career in medicine.

Ah, and good job not working hard and getting B's. Will serve you well if you decide to *pursue a job in medicine*

Reactions: 1 user
007 - with a net worth of $100,000 and your anxiety high regarding supporting parent and making money, I think it comes down to this:

Close your eyes. Imagine yourself in 5 years - two scenarios. Scenario A you've finished med school and are making $55,000/year as a resident with med school loans but you are living your calling, learning to heal people and becoming the best resident/physician that you can be.

Scenario B you've made $1,000,000 average per year for the last five years, take care of your parent in luxurious style and drive your Tesla to the beautiful office building that your company owns. Your time is your own. Not being a doctor isn't painful.

Open your eyes. Which scenario makes you happier? Giving up which future is more palatable?

Two other things - I think your problem may be that you want to have it all and have it all right now. Alternative 1 is you could not go back to medical school now, work and make money for 5-6 years and then retire/sell and go back to medical school. You're what - 25 now? You'll be 32, able to pay for med school out of pocket and if Adcoms ask why you are coming back to school or why you dropped out, you can say that supporting your family had to be your priority in 2018 but now you are ready to give that up and focus on medicine. I doubt that the blackballing of med students who quit would be applicable to you at that point. 32 is not old to start medical school, especially if you have a retirement nest egg.

Alternative 2 is to take on a partner, or hire someone and have them manage your business. True, maybe no one has the singular attributes that you have to manage your company to its optimal potential and I can see that you might not want to give up your "baby" but I assure you it can be done. If the business goes down the tubes, would your personal assets be at risk? Have you given a personal guarantee to a bank or a lender? Or if the worst happens and the business fails under someone else's management, can you walk away unscathed? Sure, if you've mortgaged your house and signed a personal guarantee you won't be able to be cavalier about turning over the business to someone else but otherwise you can risk it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: 1 users