MD & DO Need guidance on next steps & school list (504/sGPA 3.27) - re-applying 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

softleg

Reaction score
I didn't have much guidance when I first applied, so I'm hoping to really invigorate and improve my reapplication for 2022. I just need help creating a game plan. I realize that my stats in all three areas can be improved (MCAT, GPA, and ECs), but I'm at a loss as to what I should prioritize. Re-take my MCAT for a third time? Should I do a Post-bacc or an SMP? Should I try to do clinical volunteering or research? Open to both MD and DO.

I am an Asian male, trad grad in Biomedical Science and Psych(minor), cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.27.
Took the MCAT twice: 498 ---> 504. I was scoring 508-509 on the practice tests but the real-deal got me down.

State/Country of Residence: Florida
Ties to other States/Regions: Nebraska, Texas (direct aunts/uncles/cousins). Partner will move to WI or NY for med school

Research Experience:
500hrs cognitive behavioral therapy research internship in addiction/cancer (patient calls and sample collection, learned from guest lecturers). No pubs.

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
100hrs surgical waiting room volunteer;
100hrs low income clinic volunteer (primarily in Spanish, which I tried to learn on the job);
research (above) & retail pharmacy technician? (below)

Physician Shadowing: 250hrs, primary > neuro > interventional radiology > EM

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
300hrs social work/leadership with homeless;
100hrs soup kitchen

Other Extracurricular Activities:
200hrs leadership in hobby club;
50hrs drum line leader ethnic/religious youth group

Other Employment History: 1500+hrs retail pharmacy technician in low income area (clinical?)

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N; partner is acceptedMD
Specialty of Interest (if applicable): neurology, primary care, surgery, geriatrics
Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Y
Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Maybe? Mostly suburban upbringing

Medical School List: Need help! (FL in-state, may move to NY or WI with partner)

Members don't see this ad.

With your stats you should concentrate on DO schools though there are a few MD schools you could try.
For MD I suggest these schools based on your geographical limitations
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Medical College Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Albany
Seton Hall
For DO schools I suggest these:
LECOM Bradenton
NSU-COM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
Unless your partner is willing to be more flexible on where to live you may not ever have a career in medicine. You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to any in other states that your partner will agree to.

Thank you! I listed my partner’s states as preferences, not limitations. I’d like to live near them but it’s not a requirement.

Since I have a gap year, would you recommend I try increasing my volunteering or my research? Should I bother re-taking my MCAT?

Thank you! I listed my partner’s states as preferences, not limitations. I’d like to live near them but it’s not a requirement.

Since I have a gap year, would you recommend I try increasing my volunteering or my research? Should I bother re-taking my MCAT?
Your ECs are fine and your MCAT of 504 is competitive for most DO schools