Need Guidance On Progress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strawberries

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit out~

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most of the pediatric office experience will be listed under volunteer-medical/clinical, but you'll need to carve out the amount that was physician shadowing and count it separately (its OK to estimate).

Shadowing is passive observing. You are focused on what the doctor does. Clinical experience focuses on the patient.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to see some long-term clinical volunteering position.

Yes. It seems like aside from the pediatricians office you're missing a pretty important part of your application, long term clinical experience. You could either continue on in the office for 100+ more hours or find a hospital to volunteer at. Your GPA will be just fine for admission...as long as you do well on the MCAT :)

Keep in mind that the formula for calculating sGPA is completely different for Texas schools (they do include nutrition classes) than is is for AMCAS schools. TMDSAS GPA and sGPA: http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/frwqAskedQ/03-AppProcessing.html

I think your ECs are looking good, except for the mentioned need for more clinical experience (1.5 years seems about average for applicants with 150 total hours at least) and additional variety for the shadowing. Ideally (IMO) you'd shadow 2-3 docs for a grand total of 60-80 hours. I'd see if the pediatrician might take you on hospital rounds a few times so you can see that side of medicine, too. BTW, it's fine to list the other shadowing you've done also; adcomms don't mind seeing that you explored a variety of health-related careers.

I'd also be sure to continue with nonmedical/noncampus community service, too (homeless shelter is ideal). You may be volunteering in the pediatric office, but you are not providing a community service there.

I'm of the opinion that more (quality) research is better--especially if you get a pub...but it's probably one of the less important aspects of your application. I actually applied with no research and got interviews at UTSW and Baylor. However, I have a lot of clinical experience, which may have made up for the lack of research.

You can shadow anybody--primary care would be good. BTW, there's no need to delineate physicians vs surgeons--they're all physicians!

Pathology--maybe not the best. I would imagine that adcoms want to know that you understand the patient-physician interaction, and that's a little hard to observe in the lab or ME's office. There's certainly nothing wrong with the field of pathology, it just might not make for the best med school application material!

Your app is looking pretty good! 30+ on the MCAT and you would be well on your way to the class of '15. Good luck!

The clinical experience and community service you've planned will be terrific.

With shadowing a pediatrician and internist, also shadowing a pathologist would be fine (sounds interesting), but as canjosh points out, it doesn't add to your understanding of doc-patient relationships.

I'd say a year of research is average for all applicants. Some have none, and some have 4+ years. I generally suggest two years minimum of substantive research (not just running gels for the postdoc) to appeal to the research giants, but strengths in other areas can still make you appealing to such schools, particularly leadership combined with community service. In canjosh's case, I believe he's been an EMT for a gazillion years.

I think you have a very solid application with an excellent chance of an instate acceptance, assuming strong LORs, compelling PS, no legal/institutional action issues, applying early, and appropriate interview skills.

OOS schools in your 3.75/32 stats range to consider for "fit" that have a decent OOS matriculation rate:

UCF, USCal, Boston, Tufts, SLU, Einstein, Rochester,
UConn, Georgetown, Miami, Iowa, Maryland, UMinn, Stony Brook, Wake, Cincinnati, Penn State, UWisconsin,
Loma Linda, Loyola, RFU, UKentucky, Creighton, Albany, SUNY Downstate, Hofstra (new), Jefferson, MCW,
UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, UNebraska, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (new),
GWU, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS, Florida Atlantic University (new),
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new),

and maybe a few dream schools.

Thanks a lot! I have one quick question about your suggested schools list: are they listed in any particular order?

I just noticed that I originally posted this ~1 year ago!

Good job on the MCAT. I think you have a good shot at a few TX acceptances. You're applying to all the TX schools...right?