Need help! 29P, unbalanced MCAT, 3.92sGPA 3.75cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosier17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First off, I just got back my MCAT score: 11 bio, 11 ps, but a 7 on the verbal. I took around 8-10 Kaplan practice and AMCAS exams and never scored below an 8 on the VR (usually 8-9 with a 10), so this was surprising and disappointing.

I feel the 7 is possibly a huge road block. My science GPA is strong (3.92) and overall is decent (3.75). I have shadowing experience, over a year volunteering as a big brother, about a year volunteering in the ER, I'm on my second summer doing research at a prestigious institute, have an abstract in review and gave 2 poster presentations and a speech on it at a national conference, I am a non-science major (which could help or hurt me), leadership positions, and more.

Should I go ahead and apply? Should I retake and reapply for next year? Retake soon? I'm apprehensive to retake the MCAT for this application term because I am so busy with my research this summer and would want to be able to study a lot to not "waste" my second MCAT chance if i do poorly. It's also worth noting I am an Indiana resident so Indiana University is my only in-state option for medical school.

I am open to any advice and am freaking out over what I should do so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.