Need help Broadening List: 3.9+ c/sGPA, 35O MCAT, strong ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kuune

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I need some help broadening my list of schools. I'm interested in schools with strong research, and most of them happen to be top 20 schools, so my list feels really top heavy. Unfortunately my state of residence only has one state school so most other public schools are out.

3.96 cGPA and 3.97 sGPA

MCAT: 12PS, 11V, 12BS, writing O (let's not talk about that...)

Significant honor's/awards:
Summa Cum Laude
Phi Beta Kappa
2 department awards

ECs
3+ years research, 1 publication, thesis.
170+ hours volunteer (includes shadowing two surgeries)
During my year off, expecting to have more shadowing hours.
Tutoring 1/2 semester
TA 1/2 semester
Cultural club 2 years, 1 year leadership position (this is actually a pretty interesting one cause it's the Filipino club and I'm Chinese. I get asked about this all the time. My answer is always 'why not?")
Art - It's a life long hobby, but I don't have anything official to show for it other than classes and a live model drawing session that I attend every now and then.

Resident: CT
I'm interested in staying in the northeast or large cities.

My current list

• Columbia P&S
  • Cornell
  • Yale
  • NYU
  • Stanford
  • Duke
  • John Hopkins
  • Einstein
  • Sinai
  • UConn
  • Brown
  • Tufts
  • UPenn
  • Georgetown
  • Emory
  • Northwestern
  • Boston U
  • Dartmouth
  • Drexel
  • U of Rochester
  • Pittsburgh
  • SUNY Stony Brook

any help is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have other ECs? The research and clinical stuff is good, but those are pretty much just the basic reqs of the top 20. Don't underestimate the power of outside interests and passions.

Yeah, I have some, but nothing extraordinary.

Extra EC's

Tutoring 1/2 semester
TA 1/2 semester
Cultural club 2 years, 1 year leadership position (this is actually a pretty interesting one cause it's the Filipino club and I'm Chinese. I get asked about this all the time. My answer is always 'why not?")
Art - It's a life long hobby, but I don't have anything official to show for it other than classes and a live model drawing session that I attend every now and then.

Still interested in comments! any other ideas?